First tilling is done!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
This weekend dh got the intial tilling done in the garden & the expansion area too. All we need to do is get the manure spread in it now & till it all in before we start digging out the trenches & get things planted next month. The weather was so great this weekend that we just had to do it! Only thing is right smack in the middle is my beets still! Looks kind of funny, an island of beets in a sea of freshly tilled soil. We need to strech the fence out too as it is all loose so that will get done after the manure as we have a nice opening right now where we rolled up the fencing to make room for the expansion.
The seedlings are getting a really good start going too. I planted 12 tomatoes & so far 8 have sprouted & all 4 cukes too. Waiting(impatiently I will add) for green bell peppers, zuchinni, yellow squash & the other tomatoes to come up now. I have been sitting my plantings out on my back patio table every day once the sun starts to warm everything up. I am planting some cantaloupe seeds today to get them started too.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
That is awesome!
My garden is buried under nearly 2 foot of snow right now!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I was just checking the extended weather forecast for the next 15 days & it said we are to have snow showers on the morning of the 15th!! Guess I won't be planting at that time this year. I will have to wait another week or two this year.

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
That is awesome!
My garden is buried under nearly 2 foot of snow right now!
Mine too! I did manage to get the manure on and tilled in last fall so, for once I'm ahead. Hopefully, just a good tilling this spring (whenever that may get here) and I can plant.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yeah, you want to come up here and till my snowdrifts? LOL

Actually it got into the high 30s F yesterday and is almost up to freezing today, bright sunshine, getting lots of solar heating for the chicken building :p I wish this meant it was late winter almost spring!

Pat

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Yeah, you want to come up here and till my snowdrifts? LOL

Actually it got into the high 30s F yesterday and is almost up to freezing today, bright sunshine, getting lots of solar heating for the chicken building :p I wish this meant it was late winter almost spring!

Pat
No Pat...it's only the calm before the next snowstorm unfortunately :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yup I gotta find someplace warmer to retire to.

Homestead you are sooooo lucky to be thinking about gardens right now! Our snow won't even start melting until spring break...ugh

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We have the luxury of being able to garden 12 mos out of the year here. Of course you have different things at different times of the year to grow. My peas are growing beautifully right now. Have to make sure to caver them next week & protect them from the freeze we are expecting.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW Pam you sure are moving right along.

yea NC I can easily get 12 months of growing also. Just have to be super careful what to plant in the 3 bad months, but alot of root crops still do well here also.

You sure are lucky!!! You beat me on all the good stuff to grow right now. Beets, ugh, I hate those..HA HA......every time I touch a beet I get red stains everywhere.

hey do they make a white beet? I never looked? LOL

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
We have the luxury of being able to garden 12 mos out of the year here. Of course you have different things at different times of the year to grow. My peas are growing beautifully right now. Have to make sure to caver them next week & protect them from the freeze we are expecting.
What do you plant in the heat of summer? Just wondering.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The only thing you can actually plant in the heat of summer is root crops as everything else would burn up as a seedling. But I can plant my tomatoes this month & they produce into Nov if I take good care of them. Okra does really well here in the summer too. I use my bigger plants to shade my more fragile & smaller plants. Root crops we can grow all yr long.

Latest posts