First tilling is done!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
We can usually get 9 to 10 months here in Mississippi. Most anything you want in the summer months as long as you can water some of it. We grow greens, turnip, mustard, collard, cabbage fall thru winter. We just tilled it all under in prep for spring planting. We will plant our potatos at the end of Feb. Probably the 22nd which should be a good moon phase to plant according to the almanic. This is our first year to try the moon phase thing. We are experimenting with some new things this year to see if it really makes a difference.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good luck on that one 2dream

I did an experiment long ago using the farmers almanac schedule. I saw no difference.....wonder how you will do?

But ya know I still follow some of the old traditions (or should I say superstitions) in planting..LOL

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Yeah FC we kind of wondered - We have two different almanacs and its funny. They are close but different. So we are like - uhhhh - well. Which one do you go by. The times are right on planting so we figured we would pick the moon phase days.
I do know that digging holes better be done at the right time. Or you will end up looking for enough dirt to fill the hole back up. Its always amazed me how you can dig a hole, put a post in and not have enough dirt to back fill around that post. Nature sure can be strange sometimes.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
2dream we really should plant potatoes as a fall plant here unless you can shade the plant in the afternoon. I was turning my compost a few weeks ago & found 3 red potatoes that were sprouting in there so I planted them in a couple of tires & yesterday I discovered a plant coming up!! I will have to make sure I shade them once the heat hits. And you know I have sound the same problems with posts too, amazing isn't it?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL--we don't have that problem with posts cause all our wooden posts get a little cement in the bottom of the whole! LOL---I guess that takes up the dead space..HA HA HA

Yea you can "loose" dirt so fast.....so much is just "lost" on the ground...more than one would think...LOL

I love the farmers almanacs though. They have great old timey articles and info. Just fun to read and I get one every year!!!!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We have termites really bad here in the desert, so we use cement to put wooden posts in the ground too. They sure last a lot longer that way. Usually though we use steel for our posts, no termite damage & the cement helps to prevent them from rusting out.

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We are having to make a new garden spot so DH tilled it up this last weekend. We scooped horse manure that has aged and put in the dirt.

I have him talked into buying landscaping timbers to divide up the different veggies. The garden is on a slope and he was wanting to build it up to it's level and just add cross ties at the bottom. When I explained the raised beds that way the dirt won't wash. He liked that idea.

I also planted beets and tomatoes in pots. The tomatoes are in the house in the window but the beets are under a large piece of glass.

jackie

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have not covered my beets at all this winter & I have had no problems with them even when we had freezing temps.

Latest posts