Fishing for Freezer

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We used to fish almost every weekend in Iowa. Blackheads, cats and various sunfish were a big help with the food bill for our large family. Then for family vacation-two weeks in Minnesota up by horseshoe lake. Oh, the Pike and Walleye and bass we'd tuck away in the freezer!!! I wanna go home.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
To all you smelt eaters, yes we would net them and fill a 30 gallon drum, only using the moonlight from the shores of Lake Michigan then have a giant fish fry. Deep fat fried smelt was offered in most taverns in Milwaukee back when the waters were somewhat clean.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Oh, the Pike and Walleye and bass we'd tuck away in the freezer!!! I wanna go home.
The fishing in Colorado is SO PATHETIC compared to the fishing back in good old Wisconsin.

I remember sitting in a boat pulling up perch after perch until the bottom of the boat was almost full. Then all of a sudden...no fish. We waited and waited then BAM! Someone would pull in a HUGE pike. It was obviously feeding on the perch.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Our local AMVETS club used to put on a Smelt fry every spring. Beer battered Smelt! MMMmmmmMMMMmmmm I could eat a ton of that stuff!!!

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I grew up 7 miles from Lake Texoma here in southern Oklahoma. There is a creek behind my grandads house that meanders down to it. We used a flatbottom boat with a trolling motor, and went all summer, every day. We would fill up with striper bass, largemouth, channel and blue cat. I still go a lot during the summer now, to both Texoma, Lake Murray, or many of the other large local lakes(Oklahoma is FULL of fishing) and stock up on channel cat, largemouth, crappie, and striper.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Fish! :drool

Every time J and I visit family in Mobile we come home with a huge cooler full of redfish and white trout. Of course the $20-$30 we spend on bait shrimp cools my jets, but only slightly.
The trout I baste with mustard and roll in panko (forgive me, Wifezilla!) and then pan fry.
The redfish gets lemon and herbs in the oven. It's stinkier, it needs the lemon.
Ohhhh....fried fish...:drool

hankus

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Bass, bream, catfish, jack and crappie down south. I usually freeze a bunch, then deer season starts,and it is all et up by the time they get to biting good again.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My parent's pond system gets lots of bass in it. The rivers have a fair amount of trout. The main thing we freeze, though, is the salmon that my dad picks up every year on the Kenai in Alaska. He has a friend who owns a plane and goes up to a cabin up there. He comes home grinning from ear to ear, stocked up on razor clams and salmon. They smoke a fair amount of salmon before they come down too.

Had a salmon steak for dinner recently! Nothing like king salmon. :)

Latest posts