Flax oil question

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anyone here use flax oil as a dietary supplement - the liquid, not the capsules?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It can go rancid quickly so I don't use it. I prefer chia seeds.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My m-i-l got me to try it maybe six years ago... the smallest bottle I could buy would still "age out" in the fridge before I used it all, and at that price, nuh-uh.

But, that's just me and my family; other people may of course use it at different rates or have access to smaller bottles :)

Pat

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you want it as an Omega III supplement, it is not suitable. It contains a balance of other Omega oils and will not correct an imbalance like a good fish oil will.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Was there a particular reason you were wanting to try it or some health challenge you were wanting to correct?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First off, the reason I'm attempting to use it is, it was suggested to me as a help for menopause symptoms. :/

Second, I don't want to take fish oil or take gelatin capsules, being a vegetarian.

Soooo...aside from the rancidity (or whatever the appropriate adjective is)...how do you get past the taste???!!!?? :sick I have to swallow a tsp, then hurry & eat something. :p

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just a thought - I used ground flax seed instead of the oil to overcome the rapid rancidity issue. Instead of 1 Tbsp of oil, I'd grind 3 Tbsp of flax in a coffee grinder. Then I could sprinkle them on a salad or add them to a smoothie. You still get the benefits of the oil, avoid the dangers of rancid oils, and get the fiber from the ground seed to boot.

But don't grind them in advance - they turn fast. Just grind 'em as you need 'em.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use the seeds too. Just grind and add to food,or chew up a spoonful.

Hemp seeds/oil might be good too.Maybe evening primrose oil.

I used flax seed oil years ago,but like others mentioned the use of it was so so. I think I read once of mixing it with butter. I added mine to oatlmeal. I always worried the oil would go bad so I switched to seeds.

I even toss some seeds out into the yard for the pretty flowers!

I sneak the ground seeds into cupcakes/muffins for the kids.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our7Wonders said:
Just a thought - I used ground flax seed instead of the oil to overcome the rapid rancidity issue. Instead of 1 Tbsp of oil, I'd grind 3 Tbsp of flax in a coffee grinder. Then I could sprinkle them on a salad or add them to a smoothie. You still get the benefits of the oil, avoid the dangers of rancid oils, and get the fiber from the ground seed to boot.
Mattemma said:
I use the seeds too. Just grind and add to food,or chew up a spoonful.

Hemp seeds/oil might be good too.Maybe evening primrose oil.
Hmmm...that's a thought. We used to buy flax seeds for DH years ago (for irregularity, I think?) & grind them in a coffee grinder. I could put them in yogurt or something. It's gotta be better than that disgusting oil! :p

Thanks guys!!! :D