Flower pot heater

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't tried them, but I've talked to people that have. It's an old idea-- the first time I heard about something similar was back when I was a kid-- a friend of my parents said he heated his camping trailer by putting a flower pot over one of the burners on his stove- so that was using propane instead of candles. Using candles can be dangerous because if those little candles get too hot under the flower pot the was can suddenly combust and you've got more serious things to worry about than a cold room. I guess if you keep a close watch on things they would work-- at least for a small room (like our friend's camping trailer).

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't tried them, but I've talked to people that have. It's an old idea-- the first time I heard about something similar was back when I was a kid-- a friend of my parents said he heated his camping trailer by putting a flower pot over one of the burners on his stove- so that was using propane instead of candles. Using candles can be dangerous because if those little candles get too hot under the flower pot the was can suddenly combust and you've got more serious things to worry about than a cold room. I guess if you keep a close watch on things they would work-- at least for a small room (like our friend's camping trailer).

Yea I think your right... Maybe a very small room with low a ceiling might work. I just can't see where a few candles would put out that much heat to be effective.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
it's not the candles- it's the clay flowerpot that gets very hot... but without a fan, the radiant heat only goes so far.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It is an interesting idea.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
it's not the candles- it's the clay flowerpot that gets very hot... but without a fan, the radiant heat only goes so far.

Yep agree with you again :) it definitely needs some type of air circulation besides natural radiant.

Heat rises, but if you notice the are no holes in the top of the flower pot for heat to escape. The only hole is plugged with a length of threaded rod.

Now if you could find a clay pot with small holes around the outside edges along with the larger hole in the center that would make it "more better". I reckon a guy could drill some holes in the bottom of the pot with a masonary bit. 6 or 7 1/8" or 3/16" holes would be a good place to start. This idea might be good to keep a green house from freezing at night. But you would most likely need several dual flower pot heaters going at the same time to be effective.

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You're still limited by the BTUs that the flame puts out.

If you're using enough to truly warm something, I'd be worried about the smoke. Paraffin is actually kind of nasty in the chemicals it releases when burned.