1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Smoothie Recipes - Discussion Thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Flower pot heater

Discussion in 'Frugal Living - Making and Saving Money' started by CrealCritter, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Nov 21, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Anyone tried this? Think it would work?

2. Nov 21, 2018
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

I haven't tried them, but I've talked to people that have. It's an old idea-- the first time I heard about something similar was back when I was a kid-- a friend of my parents said he heated his camping trailer by putting a flower pot over one of the burners on his stove- so that was using propane instead of candles. Using candles can be dangerous because if those little candles get too hot under the flower pot the was can suddenly combust and you've got more serious things to worry about than a cold room. I guess if you keep a close watch on things they would work-- at least for a small room (like our friend's camping trailer).

3. Nov 21, 2018
    CrealCritter

Yea I think your right... Maybe a very small room with low a ceiling might work. I just can't see where a few candles would put out that much heat to be effective.

tortoise likes this.
  4. Nov 21, 2018
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

it's not the candles- it's the clay flowerpot that gets very hot... but without a fan, the radiant heat only goes so far.

5. Nov 21, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

It is an interesting idea.

6. Nov 21, 2018
    CrealCritter

Yep agree with you again :) it definitely needs some type of air circulation besides natural radiant.

Heat rises, but if you notice the are no holes in the top of the flower pot for heat to escape. The only hole is plugged with a length of threaded rod.

Now if you could find a clay pot with small holes around the outside edges along with the larger hole in the center that would make it "more better". I reckon a guy could drill some holes in the bottom of the pot with a masonary bit. 6 or 7 1/8" or 3/16" holes would be a good place to start. This idea might be good to keep a green house from freezing at night. But you would most likely need several dual flower pot heaters going at the same time to be effective.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    tortoise and sumi like this.
  7. Nov 22, 2018
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

You're still limited by the BTUs that the flame puts out.

If you're using enough to truly warm something, I'd be worried about the smoke. Paraffin is actually kind of nasty in the chemicals it releases when burned.

tortoise likes this.