Fly Spray

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found this recipe and thought I would pass it on, now I haven't try it yet, but will be today and will post if it works.

Livestock Fly Spray

1 part mineral oil
1 part original listerine(generic works fine)
4 parts ACV
6 parts water

shake and spray

I hope this works as this month is fly and wasp season here, and I would love to use something more natural on my livestock.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I've been using the fly predators this year and the difference is AMAZING.

Last year we were ALL miserable, the chicken coop was FULL of flies, and the horse barn as well, we used sprays, and DE and sticky paper - it was just an endless struggle.

THis year, yeah there are a couple of flies around, but SO much less.. the coop might have a few flies, and the barn as well - but there are no black fly clouds around.

We started with the predators in April, and I think September is our last shippment of 5000.

The 6 months cost us $110.00. Well worth it, last year I was spending at least $20 a week on fly stuff...

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I guess that all these homemade flyspray recipes must work for *someone*, at least via placebo effect ;), but I have to say that the only thing that I've ever seen be useful for more than 10 minutes after spraying is garlic juice, and even that is nowhere NEAR as useful as commercial livestock flysprays.

I mean, you can try it if you want, and who knows maybe you'll get lucky, but I've sure never lived anywhere like that, and I've lived a lot of places :p

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Back in TX, (waaay back in the early '90's) horse people used to laugh at me when I applied avon's "skin so soft" lotion to my horse. It worked great for those persistant TX sized flys, mosquitoes and horse flys. Plus it wasn't toxic for my horse or (especially) me. Now days everyone does it.

I've used listerine/water sprays and they do work, you just have to apply more often. I never tried this particular recipe before though.

I have a kiddo with severe heart and lung problems so I won't allow her near *any, nope, none* over the counter "commercial" horse fly spray brands. So I appreciate you for posting it. :)

Now, I can't wait for your opinion.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
I've been using the fly predators this year and the difference is AMAZING.

Last year we were ALL miserable, the chicken coop was FULL of flies, and the horse barn as well, we used sprays, and DE and sticky paper - it was just an endless struggle.

THis year, yeah there are a couple of flies around, but SO much less.. the coop might have a few flies, and the barn as well - but there are no black fly clouds around.

We started with the predators in April, and I think September is our last shippment of 5000.

The 6 months cost us $110.00. Well worth it, last year I was spending at least $20 a week on fly stuff...
Nice to hear someone's real opinion on these fly predators. I've only read about them in an advertisement. Thanks for sharing. :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Someone on BYC hung vanilla scented car fresheners (the tree shaped ones) and said it really reduced her fly population. A few others tried it too and reported good results. It has to be the tree shaped ones though.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
WZ imagine this: Me riding up nonchalantly *hum de dum dum dum* (on my abnormally big brown horse) to a group of seasoned trail riders with a whole bunch of tree shaped air fresheners attached to all points of my saddle, flapping in the breeze. I'll even attached some to his mane and tail. :gig

When the other snooty "horse people" look stangely at me (they always do) I say with a straight face, "what?" :lol: Then I leave them in a cloud of big brown vanilla scented dust. :lol: