Fly Spray

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mixed up a batch and sprayed the cow down with it and the chicken coop, so now I'll wait and see how long it works. Anything that is not industrial strength is a great thing for me, as I have lots of allergies and asthma, I don't mind haveing to apply it more often, if it keeps my animals comfortable and me a little healthier.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You mean that little knobby thing on the saddle isn't for hanging air fresheners??

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Day 2 of fly spray experiment.

So far so good, flies are still at bay.

More update to follow.....

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We have had a fly invasion this summer. We think something might have died under the house, it is so bad.
I'll have to try it out. Just don't have any $$ to buy the mouthwash though, so I guess SO will have to keep swatting them :lol:

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
deb4o said:
mixed up a batch and sprayed the cow down with it and the chicken coop, so now I'll wait and see how long it works.
deb4o, how did you spray your coop - the walls, nesting boxes, floor...? Do you have a pen, did you spray the ground? I'm guessing from looking at the ingredients that if the chickens scratched around in it, it wouldn't hurt them...:/

I agree, the flies have been BAD this year.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i_am2bz,

I did just as you wrote, sprayed boxes, floor(which is wooden and covered in sand,which makes for easy cleaning),Then I did the coop yard. My chickens also have a small pasture for free ranging.I don't think it will hurt the chicken, as that is the idea behind homemade not chemicals.

Today the flies still seem to be in control and the weather has been kind of cool, so they usually would be slow and sticky. My cow doesn't seem to be as bothered either.

For me it is working, and even if I have to spray once a week,or more(hopefully not more) it would still be better than some chemical stuff.IMO

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks, deb4o, I'm going to try it! The sticky fly strips keep blowing down, & I can't always find the baited-bag things at the store (hit or miss). This recipe is definitely worth a try.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Sounds like a winner recipe.

The commercial sprays I've used on my horse only last a day at most, very annoying. So anything that lasts longer is a good thing!