FOOD, CANNING, and the coming

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a friend who owns and runs a local grocery store. We have been friends for over 10 yrs now so I really trust his thoughts and opinions about the grocery world. We got talking in one fo the isles today. He was telling me about the coming 30% increase in food in the next few months. :( ( but there's no inflation) So I was telling him I am canninng more this yr rather than buying canned goods. He tell told me there was no canning supplies at this yrs trade show!! NONE!!! HMMM..... He said there has alwys been canning supplies there. He told me to buy up all I can right now because he sees shorts in his ordering too. :( COME ON !!!! Control the food you control the people.

I went through my canning supplies and see I need to get some more for sure. I'm not trying to scare anyone but I for one am making sure I can can a yrs worth of food with what I have for supplies. FOR SURE!!! I don't like the forcast ahead at all. I'm done with there system. Local all the way.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
This morning on the news they said groceries would go down but I know they re lying.

You can get reusable lids or freeze stuff or dehydrate more :D

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
This morning on the news they said groceries would go down but I know they re lying.

You can get reusable lids or freeze stuff or dehydrate more :D
I think I'll believe my friend before the news for sure. :)

I bought a dehydrator this yr. So this will be our first time trying it. I'm not really a fan of dehydrated stuff put I don't think I can afford to be picky soon. :)

Thank you for the reply.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have a good stock of canning jars, and will get more from my grandma since she has quit canning so much. I also plan to dry a LOT of produce we grow here! I believe groceries will go way up, and when it does, I'll be prepared. I already see so much increase in everything. Canning is my least favorite method of preserving, but at least I'll have something.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I have a good stock of canning jars, and will get more from my grandma since she has quit canning so much. I also plan to dry a LOT of produce we grow here! I believe groceries will go way up, and when it does, I'll be prepared. I already see so much increase in everything. Canning is my least favorite method of preserving, but at least I'll have something.
I totally agree I think it's great to know how to do it. Just another method of many ways of perserving. Something is better than nothing. :)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
The manager of a local national superstore told us basically the same thing. His time frame was in the three to six month range, but said the amount of increases will catch a lot of people by surprise.

I hope that he is being just a bit pessimistic, but I doubt it. He should be in a position to know. :( Time to pick up another case or two of jars and several boxes of lids.

Does anyone know if the re-usable lids (Tattler, I believe) require replacing the gasket each time?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Besides getting the obvious canning supplies, jars lids etc, you may also want to stock up on the sugars and salts of your choice.
And maybe even spices. Or anything else you use regularly to process and preserve your own foods.
I am getting something extra on each shopping trip. Since several of my predictions (usually based on posts made here) have come true, SO is finally with me on being prepared.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:

Does anyone know if the re-usable lids (Tattler, I believe) require replacing the gasket each time?
The gaskets are reusable. I saw on the internet where someone was testing them, and they were still working after being used for canning six times. I have used some of mine three times, and they still look good.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have jars, need more lids and rings. Along with salt, and spices, don't forget to pick up some extra vinegar...at least until you learn to make your own.

Also, ZIP LOCK BAGS! Not the regular storage bags...get the freezer bags. They are much sturdier.