FOOD, CANNING, and the coming

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
k0xxx said:

Does anyone know if the re-usable lids (Tattler, I believe) require replacing the gasket each time?
The gaskets are reusable. I saw on the internet where someone was testing them, and they were still working after being used for canning six times. I have used some of mine three times, and they still look good.
Thanks Vicki! I guess that I will be ordering some soon. :)

For those that would stock up on salt, we just purchased a 25 pound bag for $3.88. We normally use Celtic Sea Salt and have stocked up on it, but the regular salt is great for preserving and a great barter item, should it ever be needed.

ETA the 25 pound bag of salt was purchased at Sam's Club.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like the Tatler lids. I have several..and they do pretty good. Altho, you have to watch, and make SURE the rubber is on right, or it will get sucked inside the jar at processing time ( words of experience here) :/ As soon as the finances allow, I will be ordering more! Oh, also, might want to get an extra seal for that pressure cooker. ;)
Our gas went up 14 cents today!!! $3.69/gal!! :th So thats a sure sign that groceries will follow.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I ran out of my stash of reg lids that I got for a buck a dozen and I can't bear to pay more! So I finally ordered 24 dozen of the Tattler reg mouth lids and 2 dozen spare rings. I still have lots of wide mouth metal flats so I won't buy the Tattlers for a while....I'll need at least one or two more orders of the reg mouth lids by the year's end to get me through! Yikes! But then, hopefully, I am done buying lids pretty much forever.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My DH works for a wholesale food distributor, mostly for restaurants, but he even said we need to stock up! He's even going to break down and get me a pressure canner! I had given my old one to my daughter but 2 in the family is better!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Guess I'll be ordering some Tattler lids. Don't know if I need any canning jars or not.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
From what I read it's not that the food will be unavailable. It's just that we will not be able to afford it.

I think the canning supplies are and excellent idea for things you plan to grow yourself.

I am good on those. But my main focus right now is things I will not be able to produce myself.

Coffee, sugar, medicines etc...

I am not planning and prepping out of panic, just looking at the cost of things and trying to be frugal.

g

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
From what I read it's not that the food will be unavailable. It's just that we will not be able to afford it.
I already had that experience a couple of days ago at Safeway. I only got the loss leaders, a couple of things we really needed, and NO produce.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm glad to see others in the same mind set. I'm going to buy extra today. Just a good ideas no matter what.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
The manager of a local national superstore told us basically the same thing. His time frame was in the three to six month range, but said the amount of increases will catch a lot of people by surprise.

I hope that he is being just a bit pessimistic, but I doubt it. He should be in a position to know. :( Time to pick up another case or two of jars and several boxes of lids.

Does anyone know if the re-usable lids (Tattler, I believe) require replacing the gasket each time?
I trust the frontlines more than the news on these topics myself. People really need to get there head out of the ground and either be prepared or be part of the problem. :) Good luck man. I'm off to the store.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
justusnak said:
I like the Tatler lids. I have several..and they do pretty good. Altho, you have to watch, and make SURE the rubber is on right, or it will get sucked inside the jar at processing time ( words of experience here) :/ As soon as the finances allow, I will be ordering more! Oh, also, might want to get an extra seal for that pressure cooker. ;)
Our gas went up 14 cents today!!! $3.69/gal!! :th So thats a sure sign that groceries will follow.
Thanks for the tip on the Tattler lids. I bought 3 dozen of them when I had a few extra bucks.
HOWEVER, I MUST THANK you for the tip on buying an extra seal for the pressure cooker. that, my friend is REALLY HELPFUL. I never thought of that till you said it. I just got a new one and realize that the entire piece of equipment is dependent on that seal. Off to the hardware store I go.
Thanks again
Trim sends :ya