FOOD, CANNING, and the coming

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Our two new canners are from All American, and don't have rubber seals. However it got me thinking and I will be purchasing extra parts such as gauges, clamp parts, etc. They're not very expensive and are good insurance. Great idea justusnak.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wonderful info coming from all this. Thank you all for this very helpful info. We never thought about buying extra parts for my Preasure Canner.

I was able to pick up 3 extra cases of 1 qt jars and a few boxes of covers today. Was able to buy them at the old prices too.

I asked my friend at the local grocery store if he can get more and he said he doesn't think so. He'll LMK next week. HMMM

We own a National Pressure Cooker No7 ourselves. LOVE IT!!!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
After reading these posts, I think I will get some of the reuseable lids.

Thanks k0xxx for the tip on salt at Sam's Club.

A friend of my husband reports that this fall's and next year's wheat harvest has already been purchased by Russia, Japan, and China. I hope that is not true.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my Tattler's last night and I just got another email from them....to tell me they'd shipped!

As for grocery and other stores not having canning supplies, these are "seasonal" goods in many stores and won't be available until about July or August in many areas. So because the store can't get them this spring doesn't necessarily indicate a shortage.

Doesn't NOT indicate a shortage, either, and I always feel better with a supply of my basics! :p

I am ordering from my co-op this weekend: a 45# bucket of soft white wheat (don't feel like worrying about storage when it arrives while I'm bottle feeding a gazillion goats! :rolleyes: ), a 25# bag of raw organic hulled buckwheat for grinding, a 25# bag of organic black beans, and a 50# bag of sea salt. I hadn't thought of salt, either, until reading this, and I saw it on the co-op order list and figured it would be perfect for all my fermenting, pickling, sauerkraut, and brine for cheesemaking. I'll go through many pounds of salt this spring, summer, and fall.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I went out looking for washing soda today and didn't find it at any of my regular stores.
I think it would definitely behoove us to stock up on all those things that we cannot produce ourselves or that assist us in making our own stuff.
I need to find a good source for salt. In the meantime I will just keep buying what I can, especially if it is on sale!!
I am glad I stocked up on Fels Naptha soap a while back. The only store I had been able to get it from, stiopped carrying it! Not only do I use it for laundry soap, it is also good for washing hunting clothes and for washing off poison ivy oil.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I stocked up on washing soda....once. It turned into a brick in the box! I salvaged some of it by banging it with a heavy hammer and sifting it, but ended up tossing most of it. So if you stock up on this, find an airtight way to store it. :/

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I went out looking for washing soda today and didn't find it at any of my regular stores.
I think it would definitely behoove us to stock up on all those things that we cannot produce ourselves or that assist us in making our own stuff.
I need to find a good source for salt. In the meantime I will just keep buying what I can, especially if it is on sale!!
I am glad I stocked up on Fels Naptha soap a while back. The only store I had been able to get it from, stiopped carrying it! Not only do I use it for laundry soap, it is also good for washing hunting clothes and for washing off poison ivy oil.
www.waltonfeed.com sells salt in 6 gallon containers.
Fels Naptha? Wow, my mom used it for exactly the same reasons FD mentions...that poison Ivy was miserable but this soap gets it off!

I didn't know they still made it. It is a bit harsh, but works really well.
Thanks for the memories.
Trim sends

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
justusnak said:
I like the Tatler lids. I have several..and they do pretty good. Altho, you have to watch, and make SURE the rubber is on right, or it will get sucked inside the jar at processing time ( words of experience here) :/ As soon as the finances allow, I will be ordering more! Oh, also, might want to get an extra seal for that pressure cooker. ;)
Our gas went up 14 cents today!!! $3.69/gal!! :th So thats a sure sign that groceries will follow.
I've never had that happen. Do you put the rubber ring and lid together first, before putting it on the jar? That's how I have been doing it, and the lid has a ridge that holds the ring in place.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just checked out the Tattler lids..... AWESOME!!! I going to buy a bunch next week when my paypal is built up. Great product. Thank yu all for mentioning them. :)