Food Club?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think our church does something like this and they call it the Angel Food Ministry? Bulk food items (usually frozen), large order gives discount prices and I think the church gets some kind of money from this as well. We don't participate, other than my boys helps them unload the food. They tried to give us some of the food once that someone hadn't picked up, but it was all processed foods and frozen foods like chicken nuggets and such(we gave most of it away). This is all food we wouldn't buy at all for our house, so we don't participate in it.

Actually, we did eat some of the frozen chicken strips that they gave us that one time and we all got deathly ill with food poisoning....vomited and diarrhea until we were weak from it! :/

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think our church does something like this and they call it the Angel Food Ministry?
They offer the Angel Food Ministry here in NC, too. Lots of meat, packaged foods and some produce too. Each month they have 'specials', too.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We do AFM. And yes, the church/host (doesn't have to be a church, but has to be nonprofit I think) does recieve a certain amount of $$ for each box they sell. Since we've been ordering, it's helped our food budget. Then I like that it's also helping the church. You have to buy the regular package before you can buy the specials. The regular usually has the processed foods in it. I give half of that away usually.

Here's what we're getting tomorrow: (they change each month, and you know ahead of time what you're purchasing.. so some months we don't get any if the regular box has alot of stuff we won't eat, and/or the specials don't seem so great)

1 regular box
contains:
4-6oz Sirloin Strips
2-LBS boneless skinless chicken breasts
2-lbs breaded chicken chunks
1.5 lbs boneless pork filet
20 oz supreme pizza
1 LB ground turkey
1 LB cheddar bratwurst sausage
1 LB frozen green beans
1 LB brocolli/ bell peppers frozen mix
Frozen crinkle cut fries

1 container shelf stable milk
box mac 'n cheese
15oz can pork and beans
7oz box rice vermicelli
1 LB pinto beans
1 dozen eggs
1 dessert (usually a frozen pie type item)

I THINK the cost for all that is $30 for most sites.

I also ordered the "steak and meat" special

2- 12oz Kansas City Strips
2- 12oz bone in ribeyes
4- 8oz hamburgers

The above come frozen individually in vacuum sealed packs.

$20 is the price for the steak and meat pack. They vary from $16-$20 usually.

They usually offer 4 or 5 "specials" boxes. A "grilling" special. (usually combines chicken and beef cuts for grilling) and they offer a special for seniors of individually prepared/portioned meals that are frozen so they can microwave. They offer a produce special. When we've gotten produce it's been fine, but shipped from elsewhere... so I'd rather purchase produce locally when I can get it. I can't think of other specials they offer. But you can go to their website if you're interested www.angelfoodministries.com is it, you can do a search to see if there's locations for you, and see what they're offering for the month. You do have to order a month ahead of time and pay in advance. Most places will let you do this over the phone. Some even let you email the orders, and some sites can process them online.

Here's what's in the "senior" box for this month (anyone can purchase, dont' have to be a senior) The cost is $25.
Chicken Parmesan with side of Spaghetti with Marinara, Green Beans and Garlic Bread

Herb Roasted Chicken Quarter with Herb Gravy, White Rice, and Peas & Carrots

BBQ Chicken Quarter with BBQ Sauce, Black-Eyed Peas, Greens and Apple Sauce

Baked White Fish with Asian Sweet Pepper Sauce, Vegetable Fried Rice, Broccoli, and Pineapple chunks

Chicken Cacciatore Quarter, Creamy Rosemary Red Potato Quarters, Italian Green Beans, and Diced Peaches
Roast Beef and Brown Gravy (Pot Roast), Noodles, Carrot Coins and Collard Greens

Beef Meatloaf with Brown Herb Gravy, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Peas & Mushrooms and Wax Beans

Beef Lasagna with Tomato Sauce, Broccoli, Diced Pears, and Garlic Bread & Butter

Oven Roasted Turkey Breast with Sage Gravy, Bread Dressing, Creamed Diced Potatoes, Green Beans and Cranberry Sauce

Chicken Stew with Chicken, Potatoes, and Tomatoes; Celery & Carrots, Brown Rice, Apple Sauce and a Biscuit

eta: put the correct website address/and add senior box meals

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
There's a company in the area (actually several hours away) that is basically a grocery distributor. They issue monthly catalogs that the club members subscribe to, usually about $20 a year (I share my subscription with a woman I work with, so I only pay $10 a year). After going through the catalogs and picking out what we want we place our order with the club leader, who then has to call in or email the distribution company. Once a month, the company sends a truckload with all of our orders, as well as the orders of all the other food clubs in our vicinity. Each club has a drop off point, we use a members garage, and we all meet there and break open all the boxes and get our stuff, kind of like Christmas! Everything is much cheaper that way, since there's no middle man. Our particular distributor offers bulk quantities and regular quantities. I often split up bulk quantities with friends in the club, so we can pay the low price but not be forced to figure out how to use 50 pounds of flour before it gets wormy! Anyway, I highly reccomend you all look into this if you're not already involved in one. I guess the toughest part would be finding a distributor that offers this in your general vicinity. Scour the internet and maybe you'll find something.
Our church has a food co-op similar to the one anne marie belongs to, except one of our church members is the club leader and all the food is delivered to the church. All the members who have an order on that delivery help sort the order.

I think our church does something like this and they call it the Angel Food Ministry? Bulk food items (usually frozen), large order gives discount prices and I think the church gets some kind of money from this as well. We don't participate, other than my boys helps them unload the food. They tried to give us some of the food once that someone hadn't picked up, but it was all processed foods and frozen foods like chicken nuggets and such(we gave most of it away). This is all food we wouldn't buy at all for our house, so we don't participate in it.
beekissed mentioned Angel Food Ministries. It was started and is run by the local Church of God. We haven't used it, as the regular box you must buy includes meat and we don't eat meat. But our daugher & son in law, and my sister and her family have purchased boxes from AFM. They have been very happy with the food... Except my sister says the eggs aren't as good as the farm eggs she gets from us. ;)

Another thing about AFM, our DD & SIL were recently gifted with a letter from his mother saying she had purchased 2 months worth of food from AFM as a housewarming gift. I am not sure how that works. DD, sil & the grands hadn't moved into their house yet when Ike hit. They didn't suffer any major damage, but found not having to worry about food shopping in a new location was very helpful. So they found the pre-paid for food was a wonderful gift.

I don't remember if its been posted before, but here is the website for AFM
http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

edited for spelling

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We have a local Angel food ministries here too. I haven't used them yet, but I am seriously thinking about it! I was told by a neighbor who does it that they get a lot of food in each box!

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
They call it something different around here, we have a church in town that does it.
I have never bothered because its not food I would normally buy.
I would also have to buy several packages in order to get enough meat to feed our family, as 2 steaks or 4 burgers isn't going to provide a whole dinner for one night.

Its cheaper and more efficient from me to go to a meat specialty place like Hilltop Steakhouse, right in town or BJs.

Having said that, the food club is different from all of this.
I checked out the link from this thread.
Its bulk items like flour and the like, for making food from scratch.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Its bulk items like flour and the like, for making food from scratch
Now THAT I could get into! Trying to avoid processed foodstuffs and commercially grown meats here, so none of the AFM stuff would do us much good.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I belong to an organic buying club & we have no shipping fees if our order is a minimum of $50/mo per family. They come from Oregon & we place our orders individually a week prior to delivery. It all gets delivered to one members house in town & we go pick it up. Works great for me as I can get organic chicken feed for less & not pay shipping on it.