Food Club?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
the simple life said:
Having said that, the food club is different from all of this. I checked out the link from this thread. Its bulk items like flour and the like, for making food from scratch.
TSL - that is what our food co-op offers. I can get rice, different flours, whole wheat, spelt, oats, and other grains in 50 pound bags, if I choose. Organic and non-organic foods are offered, not just grains. If I can't use or don't want to get 50 pounds at once, I can split it with another co-op member. The 50 pound bag comes to our church, we split it up ourselves for each member that ordered.

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am trying the Angel Foods thing for the first time real soon. I figure, right now, I can use whatever I get since the price is right. Even if it's something we don't usually eat--we'll be trying it. Our nearest one is 30 miles away. A group of us are ordering and one person will pick up. If we each take turns each month it shouldn't be too bad. They also have a "Senior Box" that my mom is going to try. We'll see how it turns out.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yes they do, so one less thing I have to go to the feed store to get. If I ever get the other chickens from that guy dh works with I will have to order 2 bags/mo. When I first got my chickens I was looking for organic feed online & they all wanted shipping that was just as much if not more than the bag of feed. I ran out one mo & had to go get feed for them at the feed store as my order was still a week out & they hardly touched the feed store stuff, but went wild when I gave them the organic again.

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OK--NOT doing the Angel Food thing now. Showed it to DH. He said "Oh, I thought you were buying it for someone else. That is for people who NEED it." I asked him if he had seen the checkbook. NO money till next payday. He was actually mad at me for wanting to do this. I know it's a matter of pride...but for Pete's Sake....it is available to ANYONE. There is no income requirements. Ok- I'll quit now, but it really bothered me, and I knew I could vent about it here. Thanks for "listening"!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea bertha men sometimes react strange to things like that.....but he is right in a way, so many must rely on that food to literally eat......so in a way maybe it is a good thing....but I hear you too....I like a good savings anywhere I can get it cause I sure ain't rich by no means!

we gotta pick and choose our ways to save in life and if it made him upset, maybe let it blow (or get it on the sly without him knowing...lol...I don't do that alot but times I do go "around" Tony)--HA HA--not saying to do that....but me, sometimes I have to..HA HA

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
big bertha said:
OK--NOT doing the Angel Food thing now. Showed it to DH. He said "Oh, I thought you were buying it for someone else. That is for people who NEED it." I asked him if he had seen the checkbook. NO money till next payday. He was actually mad at me for wanting to do this. I know it's a matter of pride...but for Pete's Sake....it is available to ANYONE. There is no income requirements. Ok- I'll quit now, but it really bothered me, and I knew I could vent about it here. Thanks for "listening"!
BB, the folks that buy this at our church are the wealthy ones! :lol: That's how they stay wealthy, I would imagine.

Us poor folks need food that stretches for more than one meal or two, so this food doesn't do us a bit of good. Little frozen bags of veggies? Get real! The twenty-two qts. of home grown sweet corn in my freezer scoffs at that bargain! Breaded chicken-like patties? Bleah! :p I'll wring a hen's neck before I pay money for that stuff. I can't make a big pot of soup with patties! :) Definitely not for poverty stricken folks, I can tell you! Tell your husband that real poor folks can't afford to eat that stuff! :lol:

Now, if they had a bargain like a previous poster told about, with bulk grains, beans, etc. and stuff, I'd be the first in line... ;)

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have my meaties coming soon. I figure we'll be filling the freezer around Thanksgiving time. That will make me feel more comfortable. I got some sweetcorn put up last week, but not nearly as much as I would have liked. I haven't done anything with my tomatoes yet. They are sitting in the freezer waiting for me to find the time to can them. Figure I'll have more time for that as it gets colder!
I think DH just thinks I have gone around the bend!! I found a good source for canning lids at a decent price, not too far away,AND was going to split the order with someone else. I got the third degree! "do you need them right now? How does the price compare to the stores? Can it wait for a while? and on and on..... Told him forget it. But, last time I checked any stores, no one even had lids in stock. I have been checking Craigslist and emailing him what I think would be helpful and reasonably priced. He always has some reason to turn it down.
Anyway---enough ranting. He is a great guy! I think he's just trying to balance out my internal urging to to some stocking up. He's such an optomist--I am such a pessimist. (I prefer to think of it as a realist;)
Thanks you all! I have gotten so much info from here. Feels good to know you all are going "around the bend" with me! Hang on--it may be a bumpy ride!!

sundance

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
as a senior citizen living on a fixed income I have to say I love angel food ministries.If they have something I don't like or eat, i donate it to the food pantry in our church, After all $30.00 is money well spent., and they a good quality food, at least here in tn they do. marrie

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I think a single household would do well with it. Especially on a fixed income & limited storage space.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I am getting my first Angel Food Order TODAY!

WOOT!

Beekissed, I ordered it without having read your post! (oops) But I read the food list on the order form, and it is all food we will use. And I am afraid I am big on portion control at my house, and while it says that each box would feed a family of 4 for a week, I ordered anyway. I figure I can pick up some odd and end pieces at the store to make things stretch.

I can't wait!! WOOT!