Food Inc

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:lol:

Thank you, Me&thegals! I think I need to re-read some of this before posting . . . .

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
How convenient for these folks to spout humanity towards animals and dream that their meat was conceived from fluffy boy and girl cows who don't die but just kiss and hold hooves and then have baby meat wrapped in cellophane. Awwwwwwwww, what a sweet story! :love
:gig :gig :gig

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Well, I guess the part of the movie that got me really upset was when they were showing all the conveyor belts and machinery around the kill floors, etc. I forget what exactly they were talking about at that point . . . could have been spread of disease, labor conditions, etc. I think I was just deeply disturbed by what I was seeing and hearing. And it isn't really any new information. Just such a stark contrast to how I raise my animals . . . and to think that I am having a hard time preparing for our first attempt at "harvesting" them. I want it to be done right, and humanely, with guidance from someone with experience. So . . . I guess the contrast was stark, and it just gave me this gut feeling that the system is horribly saddistic.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
DM, it got my cityboy dh to agree that we should raise at least some of our own meat. And it got me a step closer to doing my own birds (I plucked a couple of turkeys....well, almost....dad had to finish, my stomach was churning....one step at a time! :p )

I think that is so important. That it gets people at all stages to think and make changes.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Resurrecting this one more time... Michael Pollan was on Oprah today and Amazon is offering Food Inc. DVD for $9.99 until Friday at midnight for Oprah viewers...

I guess you just go to her website for details (www.oprah.com)

So if anyone was looking for a copy of the DVD, now would be a good time to pick it up :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My library has it for lending. When I checked it out my librarian said, "Like YOU need to watch this....." and rolled her eyes! :lol:

I plan on checking it out once again as I only got to watch it once.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh wow. now my mother might actually listen to me about this stuff since Ms. O is on board........

i hate to love Oprah. i love that she really does get great information out to people who wouldn't normally hear about it, but i hate that so many people will only believe things once Oprah gives it her seal of approval.