FOOD may in the future become the NEW currency!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Really? I smell rotten spam

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
those products are a hard hard sell to folks like found on this forum. Somebody wasted their time.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes but the moderator let it as a thought provoker. Which I think it is. It would be interesting to discuss food storage based on the Nourishing Traditions eating style. Which so many of us are trying to learn.

g

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
This spam sparked a good thread. Check out the $10 challenge.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Pam, don't copy. That diet is not one that will lead to good health. It is all carbs, carbs, and more carbs. Add some soy and some dried dairy, and you have all three food groups :lol: that are bad for you.

Not to forget the hydrogenated fats and the msg.

Being familiar with wild foods in your area and how to find and prepare them in any season, along with knowing simple food storage methods such as drying and fermenting, both can be done without electricity, is also more valuable than stockpiling food that will lead to serious health problems.

Better to have a belly that is no quite as full, but filled with only very nutrient dense foods.
Knowing what foods that I can glean from the wild is not going to fill up my family of 8.
I am looking for meal/soup in a jar type of recipes and anything that sparks my interest, like cream of potato soup, that I can mix myself and then put the ingredients in a jar and have ready on hand is something I am interested in.
If you have been reading on my FB there is an attacker on the loose in my immediate area so going out and foraging on the roadsides and such is not in my best interest. I also do not want to leave my children at home while I am out foraging. Taking 6 kids out in this rainy yucky weather is not my idea of fun either! So, to me 'prepackaged' meals that I put together myself is more valuable.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ok Free, I got one for you. What do you store in case of an emergency? Is it still "store what you eat and eat what you store"?

I am thinking I need to get back ups on my good oils, Olive and coconut. But in the "good food" department what would you recommend?

Let's compare lists. :D

g
I am a huge believer in "store what you eat and eat what you store".....if you eat well. Which I do, mostly.

Root cellar a lot of stuff, and if you can't, then dehydrate lots and lots of high-fiber veggies. Lots of greens, carrots, beets, herbs, onions, garlic, etc. Make soups with these.

Keep food on the hoof....hens and other critters...rabbits, goats, sheep, pigs.

Can lots of stuff, too, including pressure canning so meats can be stored if power is lost for a long time.

Keep the freezer full for variety, but can it all up (as much as possible) if the power goes out. Wood stove in winter and rocket stove in summer.

Etc!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That sounds great. I was thinking animals would be the key. I already can and dehydrate so I just need to increase my veggies. I just can't stand canned veggies. :barnie I bought that root cellar book that refers to "sturdy keepers". I definitely plan to start growing more of these items. I have planted garlic for the first time this year. I expect a good crop come spring.

Food for thought. :D

Thanks, g

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't can veggies. Ick. Mush. But I do make some stews with sturdy veggies (rutabaga, carrots, collards, kale) and things in which mush is ok like spaghetti sauce and chili.

Nothing wrong with eating mostly in season. We don't need to have lettuce 52 weeks of the year....salads veggies used to be a spring/summer thing, and then fall had a bounty, and by the end of winter it was all roots, all the time! Then back to spring greens. A little drying, a little fermenting, a little canning, a little freezing, a little root-cellaring, and we can extend each season a bit and get them to overlap more.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There are books about seasonal eating and cookbooks as well. Free is right...back in the day, folks ate what was available seasonally.

Meats, roots, nuts and grains in the winter and some dried fruits. These foods seem designed to sustain and bring comfort during the winter months when work outside was harder and you came inside after being cold.