Food (Meat) Grinder Relish Recipes

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This one is one of my favourites, and it is so totally easy to make--we eat it with Indian dishes like Butter Chicken or Curry and also spoon it over fish or chicken pieces before baking:

Mango Chutney

1 cup white vinegar
3 1/4 cups sugar
6 cups peeled chopped green mangoes (about 4-5 large)
1/4 cup peeled, freshly grated ginger root
1 1/2 cup raisins
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Boil vinegar and sugar in a large pot for 5 minutes.

2. Add remaining ingredients and cook about 30 minutes or until thick.

3. pack into clean, hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace; seal.

4. Process in boiling-water bath 10 minutes.

Yield: 8 half-pints.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'll have to try some of these. Maybe I should try the meat grinder next time I make my relish. It would probably save me a bunch of time!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's a totally huge time saver--just chunk the veggies and push 'em through! :)

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oh... YUM! Now I've spent the morning on Ebay shopping for meat grinders :)

I always end up with a ton of zuchini and green tomatoes at the end of the season, this would be a great way to process a bunch. I have a food processor, but it doesn't work that great.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
Green Tomato Mincemeat

"A sweet condiment used like traditional mincemeat; in pies, cooked and served warm over vanilla ice cream. A shot of brandy or rum added to the warmed mincemeat lends a festive touch."

6 cups peeled, chopped apples
6 cups chopped green tomatoes
4 cups light brown sugar
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
2 cups golden raisins
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 teaspoon ground mace
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup butter

1. Mix apples and tomatoes together in a large pot. Add remaining ingredients (except the butter).

2. Bring gradually to a boil and simmer for 3 hours, stirring often.

3. Add the butter and mix well. Spoon into clean, hot jars. Spoon into clean, hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace; seal.

4. Process in boiling-water bath 25 minutes.

Yield: 5 pints.
The recipe I use is similar, but contains ripe but firm pears as well. And, for those of you new to the joys of mincemeat pie - if you can, chop up another couple of apples and/or pears to add just before baking. It lightens the mixture, and makes it taste fresher. It also stretches the mince, so you can get by with a smaller jar per pie.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip ORChick! :)

I really love mincemeat tarts, and I can see how adding some fresh fruit before baking would make it "fresher" tasting.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Moolie, hope it is OK to add to your thread ;)

I got this off the radio - it is the family recipe of a woman I used to hear all the time on NPR. She gave out the recipe every Thanksgiving. It is Pepto Bismol pink :)sick), but absolutely delicious - if you like horseradish ;)

Cranberry Horseradish Relish -

1 cup cranberries - fresh or frozen (no need to defrost)
1 small onion
1 or 2 tsp. sugar (I use honey) (To taste; this should just even out the flavors, not make it sweet)
1/2 cup sour cream
1-2 Tbls prepared horseradish (or more)

Put the cranberries and onion through the food chopper* with the large holed disc, and mix in all the other ingredients. Chill for at least an hour or two to let the flavors meld.

*I have tried this with the food processor a few times (when I was too lazy to set up the food chopper), and I just don't like the texture as well.

I serve this every Thanksgiving, and another, sweeter one for those who don't like h'radish. Funny - all of my family find the sauce quite tasty - but the "married-ins" prefer the sweeter one :lol: