Food prices June 2021

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't have any meat chickens, but our extra roosters and the old hens get butchered and canned. I LOVE the stock from old chickens- so much more flavorful than from the young tender ones. If our broody hen manages to hatch out her chicks, I'll probably butcher the cockerels and (maybe) some of the young hens as we'll have too many for the coop and I don't want any fighting. I would love to raise at least one weiner a year, but we don't have room- I don't want to be waking up to the smell of pigs wafting through the open window, lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our pigs don’t stink and we have 3 big ones right now. The pen is big enough that they can have a potty corner. We used a 200’ roll of wire, plus a 12’ gate, plus their shelter that is 12’X12’. They have plenty of room, shade trees and are deep bedded with hay.
@Britesea you could probably raise a pig with not a lot of smell. Even if it did smell a little, just tell yourself that is the smell of delicious MEAT! LOL LOL

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our pigs don’t stink and we have 3 big ones right now. The pen is big enough that they can have a potty corner. We used a 200’ roll of wire, plus a 12’ gate, plus their shelter that is 12’X12’. They have plenty of room, shade trees and are deep bedded with hay.
@Britesea you could probably raise a pig with not a lot of smell. Even if it did smell a little, just tell yourself that is the smell of delicious MEAT! LOL LOL
That sounds like a wonderful way to raise pigs. And, you'll have a wonderful garden spot! I'd love to raise a porker, but... we don't have the space.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our pigs don’t stink and we have 3 big ones right now.
Screenshot_20210605-164314~2.png