Food prices June 2021

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't have any meat chickens, but our extra roosters and the old hens get butchered and canned. I LOVE the stock from old chickens- so much more flavorful than from the young tender ones. If our broody hen manages to hatch out her chicks, I'll probably butcher the cockerels and (maybe) some of the young hens as we'll have too many for the coop and I don't want any fighting. I would love to raise at least one weiner a year, but we don't have room- I don't want to be waking up to the smell of pigs wafting through the open window, lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our pigs don’t stink and we have 3 big ones right now. The pen is big enough that they can have a potty corner. We used a 200’ roll of wire, plus a 12’ gate, plus their shelter that is 12’X12’. They have plenty of room, shade trees and are deep bedded with hay.
@Britesea you could probably raise a pig with not a lot of smell. Even if it did smell a little, just tell yourself that is the smell of delicious MEAT! LOL LOL

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our pigs don’t stink and we have 3 big ones right now. The pen is big enough that they can have a potty corner. We used a 200’ roll of wire, plus a 12’ gate, plus their shelter that is 12’X12’. They have plenty of room, shade trees and are deep bedded with hay.
@Britesea you could probably raise a pig with not a lot of smell. Even if it did smell a little, just tell yourself that is the smell of delicious MEAT! LOL LOL
That sounds like a wonderful way to raise pigs. And, you'll have a wonderful garden spot! I'd love to raise a porker, but... we don't have the space.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our pigs don’t stink and we have 3 big ones right now.
Screenshot_20210605-164314~2.png

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Update to: Grocery store prices 2024

We just got back from Safeway. I normally ONLY get their digital deals, for stuff we use. 39 cents Yoplait yogurt; $3.97 per lb thick sliced bacon in 3 lb packs, $2.97 Umpqua (now 1.5 qt) ice cream, etc.

I'm shocked. Just shocked. Since I have a very full deep pantry and I'm using up inventory from 2020 when prices started to skyrocket for my non food items, I'm horrified for all of us, especially us "prime" in our age and reliant on Social Security.

Last weekend, I went to two estate sales. At the first one, I bought some hand soap bars and some deodorant for the Food bank where I volunteer. Less than the dollar stores for what I got. I also bought a very large container of washing machine detergent, All Free & Clear. The one with the spigot on the top left and the vent cap on the right. Huge. Full. $5.

I went down the isle for cleaners today and saw the same container. It was regularly $19.99 and on sale for $16.99. WHAT??????????????

I always check the clearance corner for markdowns. Safeway softly TP, mega, 24 rolls. $29.99. There was a package there that was half off.....Really??????? No wonder many of the folks I help with their FBank order ask for one roll of TP.

What shocks you?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I buy very little. I'm stocked. My self canned foods sustain most of my own wants...plus chickens & dairy in my yard, which I use & share with others.

BUT I still work and see these rising prices daily! I look at prices of milk, eggs, canned foods, etc. with great appreciation for my own bounty and where I can assist others who appreciate things they cannot always buy.

I'm beyond shocked -- just wondering when these increases can stop. Wondering what those who cannot do more to help themselves will do to stay warm & buy food. Yeah, there is a "it could be me" feeling. Certainly I'm "prime" aged but, very healthy.

There are many days I do "needless" work for vendors/manufacturers and know how much is being spent by them to have thousands of stores across the country serviced with ridiculous changes. My thoughts -- you're making tooooo much $$$ to spend like this, show huge profits still and you SHOULD BE reducing prices!!🤬🤬

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had to keep a price of foods at different stores so I know where to buy what. We're now buying mostly just pasta, beans, grains, veggies, and unprocessed meat.

The business center is actually higher for frozen veggies per pound than Winco. Meat price and quality is better at business center.

Depending on the produce, Hmart is best. They don't carry some things.

Canned veggies are off the menu now that we need to limit sodium for hubby. Only ones I get are the no salt tomato sauce. $1 a can right now so I should go buy a bunch.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
eggs, milk and butter are about the same as they were before, but the price does bounce around so we watch for sales and pick up more when the price is lower. some things like walnuts we've been getting rather cheap for some reason. the prices of things that went up the most were meats, canned things we use mostly like mushrooms. the instant tapioca doubled. chicken soup doubled, flour and sugar went up some but not too bad. apples, onions, oranges, carrots all went up but again, not horribly.

recently Mom decided to go off sugar and chocolate so it's been interesting. she still eats some junk-foods but cut back so we'll see how it continues, it does help to not have to buy so many sweets. i'm sometimes feeling like i may be eating more than normal but i'm doing ok when i check my weight so that is working because i'm eating less junk overall and eating better food (fruits and veggies) plus getting more fiber (bran cereal which takes up room in the digestive system and is not high in calories, i cut the milk half and half with water and eat it as a hot cereal).

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Butter and cream cheese prices are almost double what they used to be. Milk has only gone up a little. All the meat prices are stupid high, but sometimes I see salmon and boneless chicken breast for close to what they used to be. Pork shoulder roast used to be cheap, and it’s still cheaper, but twice what it used to be.

Gone are the days when I could get lemons, limes, pears, peaches and nectarines on sale for 99 cents a pound. Now when they go on sale, they cost more than what the previous regular price was. Their “not on sale” prices now are ridiculous.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the pork loin we bought several weeks ago was $1.89/lb - it had a lot of water added to it. :( but it sure was good when we cooked it up and then turned it into pulled pork BBQ. we also snacked on it a bit as it was fresh cooked (with garlic and onions). i had to add some hot sauce to give it more zing.

butter prices here have not been too bad in the recent months and we stocked up because we knew there would be some extra baking in the next few weeks.

Latest posts