Food prices June 2021

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wrote this on my FB wall:

Inflation is reported to be 3.1% Yeah. Right. Just about everything has continued to inch up.
According to the Produce Price Index by Commodity, pistachios prices peaked in April 22, then have been falling, leveling and then falling again thru December 23.
So why have the Costco pistachios increased in price since Nov 23 to last week, Feb 24 by 13%? How do I know? I have my receipts. Same warehouse, same brand, different prices. GRRRRRRR

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wrote this on my FB wall:

Inflation is reported to be 3.1% Yeah. Right. Just about everything has continued to inch up.
According to the Produce Price Index by Commodity, pistachios prices peaked in April 22, then have been falling, leveling and then falling again thru December 23.
So why have the Costco pistachios increased in price since Nov 23 to last week, Feb 24 by 13%? How do I know? I have my receipts. Same warehouse, same brand, different prices. GRRRRRRR

because the prices for labor and everything else except for the food have increased... if people stop buying expensive items then the price will have to go down or less will be produced. just the way of the world.

for my own purposes when i shop i'm going for nutritional value and diversity of some fresh items (tangerines, limes, apples), meat at reasonable prices (ground chuck is my fav), sardines in the can (no refridge needed) and carrots. peanut butter of course (i can eat a lot of that but i'm being more moderate recently) and roasted peanuts.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Absolutely, labor factors into the end price. I buy hubs pistachios (I don't eat them) due to their nutritional value for his brain. Yes, they are a treat too.

I open up a package from Costco, then divide them into three bags. Two of the bags get vac sealed for future fresh use.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got a flyer in the mail from a grocery that's sorta in middle of "nowhere" but gets a lot of traffic because of prices and always well stocked. In meats, a LOT of primals (cut for free) and sometimes case lots of chicken cuts -- big event. So, they showed boneless chicken breast at $1.99. first though -- wanted at less! :idunno then, looked at 2 other stores and they were at about double that :oops:. That's what happens when you don't need to buy this stuff, like eating out of my freezer!! Geesh. So I'm considering a trip for some to can, mostly. Still using on the chicken thighs case lots I bought there for 29 cent a # last year...freezer fill.

They often have bone in breast @$1.19-1.49. I like for grill, mainly like because low sodium in this brand. Checked and down to 1 qt of home canned on my shelf 🤔 may be time to buy. Need some in pints.

Eggs are rising in price around here. I read a couple weeks ago about more chicken growers losing flocks -- flu, processors closing, etc. Our food supply will keep being more costly, to unaffordable, to not there. THINK about what you can self provide.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fred Meyers (Kroger) had Foster Farms thighs or drums on sale this week for 89 cents per lb. I got two packages, stripped off the skin (for crock pot later) and cooked them all up. Hubs and son eat two each. I eat half of one and then nibble on the bones from them.

Gonna go back for more to vac pack and put in freezer.

Eggs doubles in price in late Jan here. WA state said now chickens must be cage free.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My property taxes went down. From $7045 to $6936. Good thing since I'll need any extra money to be able to pay the insurance, which renews in April. UGH to what I anticipate it is going to be...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@murphysranch Wow...that amount of real estate tax!?!!? Could not handle your amounts :old I shopped insurance this past Fall, saved a bundle! One big company to another -- difference was an agent who listened! Plus better rates, overall.

@flowerbug the article is spot on. When I read all the multiple "what frugal people do" articles -- no help, I already do them! 😳 Have for years.

Now, as to store brands...who do you think makes them? Same who make the branded ones, quite often. Since most of my buying is for basics - flour, sugar, salt, some condiments -- the store brand works. Now, a couple I do use branded (mayo, some flour types) but use little, so ok. Most of my food is home produced or well sourced privately. 🤷

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@murphysranch Wow...that amount of real estate tax!?!!? Could not handle your amounts :old I shopped insurance this past Fall, saved a bundle! One big company to another -- difference was an agent who listened! Plus better rates, overall.

@flowerbug the article is spot on. When I read all the multiple "what frugal people do" articles -- no help, I already do them! 😳 Have for years.

Now, as to store brands...who do you think makes them? Same who make the branded ones, quite often. Since most of my buying is for basics - flour, sugar, salt, some condiments -- the store brand works. Now, a couple I do use branded (mayo, some flour types) but use little, so ok. Most of my food is home produced or well sourced privately. 🤷
I remember the "generic" brand craze. The grocery I was working in had a specific section of the store dedicated to the products. There were some offerings that were good, many were downright horrible. I remember my dad pouring a generic beer and there was still hops floating in the liquid.