Food prices June 2021

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
While working a reset yesterday, I was once again 😡 looking at pricing. We remove those little stickers from pegs of hanging products. Some had 4-5 stickers from continual up pricing. So in 6-8 months these products had risen over $1 per bag. Bags of jerky. Yep $7.25 to $8.75...5 oz. 20% in 8 mo.

Can you say "dehydrator" ?? If you eat that jerky.

And beef prices --- oh, my!!

Make up 😱 even worse! I stopped that long ago.

Grocery stores???? Well, I'm getting garden tilled!
Goats milked and a couple young boys fattened for freezer camp. My broody hen -- bless her! -- will raise up winter soup boys & young layers to winter flock ! She's half done ☺️

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today's "surprise".....P&G reducing quantity, NOT price, on most all laundry products....gain, tide, etc., by 10-11% yep. Been posting new price strips all week and program sheets include sell thru sizes for the reduced quantity slots. 69 oz becoming 63 oz in bottle, same $....118 oz, down to 105.

Same deal dental products.

AND their profits soar. 😡

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not saying that they aren't going to make more profits.... BUT.... minimum wage has gone up again.... and that results in the cost of their products having to go up... so rather than raise the price, people are used to paying xx dollars... so they get a little less and don't "feel" it so much... Not that long ago, the size of the chicken pieces at KFC got smaller and the price of the meal stayed the same... the chickens were being killed at a smaller size, so less feed into them, a few days less at the farms, so faster turn over, for the farmers... then there was all the other things like some avian flu and other things...
Look at the Half Gallon of ice cream... got smaller, and has gotten smaller again.... same price...and the farmers are getting less for their milk than they were a few months ago... but the wages of workers keeps going up and the companies have to make more money to pay the stockholders/shareholders something back.... and pay the higher costs... when wages go up, the workers have more money... but the products they buy have to get more expensive to pay the workers producing them.... even electricity and all that goes up...

On that note... gas here went up at one station to 3.55 from 3.25 3 days ago.... the station next to it was still 3.25 so I filled up...

Inflation is higher than they "thought" it would be with the reports out today... so not lowering the prime rate again... we are going to be in some real difficulties very soon....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Agree with all you said but, even with all of that ... Their reports show huge profit increases. Key word "increases". Take a little less, like consumers do. It's not going to stop either.

Don't sell your good breeding age cows! 🤣

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
people seem to think that every time the economic cycle goes up it hasn't ever happened before and eventually it tops out and goes down again and then they think it will never get better again, rinse-repeat...

if you budget, save, invest, plus smart shopping and being selective and avoiding the obvious gouging you can get by without having to panic or even break a sweat.

note that our education system has been set up to mostly not teach thing things that help people avoid spending too much. it's not encouraged to be thrifty or frugal, garden, barter, etc. so what does that all tell ya?

oh, and i can't get Mom to reduce her waste at all in many ways. we spend probably 10%-20% per year or more than we really need to. :( i try to encourage her to not waste so much then she's going to complain about not having enough to spend on things she really needs and i have to bite my tongue and try to get her to work with what she has. sadly this has been consistent for a long time and she won't change unless she's forced to and within a month or two she will be forced to so that will be an interesting time. of course i do contribute and make sure things are safe and comfortable here no matter what, but i want to see at least a little effort once in a while to not waste... in the meantime i can grumble here... :)

for the record, no matter what, she'll never be hungry or not have a place to live that is warm in the winter and cool enough in the summer. she will always have that from me without any grumbles at all.

Last edited:

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The Calif min wage for FAST Food restaurants is now $20 an hour, for those brands that have 60 or more nationwide locations. It started last week. Wonder why nobody can afford fast food anymore?

Also the mandatory overall min wage for Calif went up to $16 an hour for any other workers.

I worked at the Sears Candy Counter in the early 70s for $1.35 an hour. Then in the mid 70's I got a part time job as a microbiologist at Marriotts Great America for a whopping stupendous $3.50 an hour!!!!! I was RICH!! hahahahaha

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes @flowerbug inflation goes up, people are upset and then it slowly sifts down, but NEVER back to the price it was before. Never.
Rinse repeat. And we wind up with higher prices than before the latest economic cycle.

I remember gasoline for 15 CENTS and a gas war was when opposing gas stations on opposite corners lowered their prices, not bombs and destruction.

My parents made less than a thousand dollars a month and we lived well. When I was in High School in early 1970’s, the fanciest pickup truck that Ford made was less than $5,000. My son just bought a brand new XLT Ford dually, just above base model, for $93,000.

So I don’t need to be told to budget, invest, shop smart and be selective. Been there, done that. Still do. Things are getting priced out of reach for me and millions of other people in this country. No amount of budgeting and investment can keep up with galloping inflation.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Many of the food corporations are having record profits right now. Because they raised prices because they could and tried to pass it off as inflation. There was an article a few weeks ago about the government actually looking into some of their shenanigans but haven't heard if anything has come of that yet.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Many of the food corporations are having record profits right now. Because they raised prices because they could and tried to pass it off as inflation. There was an article a few weeks ago about the government actually looking into some of their shenanigans but haven't heard if anything has come of that yet.
Yeah, I hear ya.

There is a lot of information and misinformation bouncing around. The worst example I saw was a blatant misrepresentation of gross profit vs net profit.