Food prices June 2021

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't do the grocery shopping, my wife does.

My neighbor stopped by complaining about meat prices. He wanted to smoke a beef brisket and said no way would he pay what they are asking. So I thought I would check myself.

Is this really true? I can't believe my eyes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tyson-Al...neless-1-0-2-2-lb/841992649?findingMethod=wpa

Screenshot_20210604-124851~2.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What??? I just checked my WalMart and they are showing the same price as you. It has got to be a misprint.

At Kroger's, the boneless Pork half loin is $1.47 lb.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What??? I just checked my WalMart and they are showing the same price as you. It has got to be a misprint.

At Kroger's, the boneless Pork half loin is $1.47 lb.
That's what I was wanting to hear MISPRINT - phew thanks for the validation.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That’s some sale! LOL LOL. I bet they don’t find many takers. Prices are normal here, nothing like that!

85C6EBB7-6706-40F5-B4A6-CF2B4CF0DB50.jpeg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here, we never see tomatoes on the vine for less than $2/#. Potatoes, on sale are about .80/#. cheese never less than $4.00/#.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pork loin is pretty average here. We looked at Costco Business Center today. $1.99. Pork tenderloin is $2.99 there.

They wanted $5.99 for pork baby back ribs which is outrageous. I usually won't buy them over $3. Local restaurant supply gets sales often enough at around that.

Costco Beef brisket was $4.99 but I bought it for $3.50 on sale last week at other store.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pork and chicken are still priced reasonably here, but beef hurts a bit. A marinated sirloin is about $9 a pound.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We raise and sell pork and chicken. We have 3 pigs ATM, one we will split with our DD and family, the other two are sold. One customer is getting a whole hog, one is being split between 2 buyers. We sell pork for $5 per pound. These go to slaughter in August. One of my chicken buyers, she orders 3, cut into quarters, wants a half hog next year.

We also raise Cornish Cross chickens, we sell it for $6 per pound. We have one customer (that buys a whole pig from us each year) that buys 25 chickens a year. Then we have 4 other customers, added 2 new ones this year. They buy from 10 to 1 chicken. We have sold 45 chickens this year. I had 5 unclaimed chickens in the freezer, sent the breast meat and boneless, skinless thigh meat home with our DD when she left yesterday. They only like the breast and thigh meat. There are 23 more out there to slaughter, over due, they are freaking HUGE. We will stock our freezer, DD's freezer and can the backs, necks, skin and hearts for the dogs.

In December, we are picking up a steer that we will finish out on grain for 3-4 months, then take to slaughter. We have 2 buyers, each gets a half, at $8 per pound.

The meat we sell is priced well above grocery store meat. Our meat business is slowly growing. Now it more than pays for what we eat and supply our DD and family with. We only do custom orders, we don't buy and raise animals then hope to sell the meat. We are slowly converting a few people to buying a freezer and buying their meat in quantity instead for a week's supply. They also get an education in how long it takes to produce the meat that they eat. Customers are welcome to come to the farm at any time to see "their" animal.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep...beef is expensive! Makes me think I need to raise one again. Then, I stop and say, only me. Buy some. Besides, goat is good red meat. Faster grow out and smaller amount. 😁

I keep looking at another hog. Much tastier when home raised!

Chickens for Fall butcher, growing now. Thanks to my broody hens. Takes longer than CCX but, works for me right now. While I'm still working a job!! ;)

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses home raised is the best! I finish our our pigs on soured corn, the meat is wonderful. I also feed the CCX on fermented feed. Customers love the meat, it has flavor and is juicy. I haven't bought store chicken in YEARS, so i can't even compare. LOL My son doesn't like much chicken, but when he does want chicken, he wants real chicken, not bloated CCX. So when I have a batch of chicks hatch out, I always put back a few roosters for him. I won't have any this year, no rooster.

Latest posts