Reaction score
He was a piece of work, wasn't he?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
k0xxx said:
k15n1 said:
. . . And BTW, the low price of food is a federal policy, so whether you like big or small government, keep that in mind.
Actually, I believe the opposite is true. I have not seen where food is subsidized to make it lower. The government pays farmers NOT to grow some foods, so that the prices WILL NOT be lower. They were originally intended to subsidize small farmers' income during periods of low prices, and to artificially reduce the amount of certain crops on the market in an effort to raise prices.
:thumbsup yeah we have a lot of farmers around here that leave their fields empty and get a Gov't check! but I don't know of any that get paid to grow it... unless they sell it to customers... I don't know any farms where the gov't buys the crop... (Unless there is some fuel program where they buy corn... but I don't know of any of our local farmers taking part in that here) So if the fields sit empty there is a lower supply and higher demand the prices stay higher not lower... so that way the farmers who do grow the crop make enough to live off of...
There are programs that pay farmers to let fields lay fallow, but that's certainly not the only agricultural subsidy. I think it's time for someone to go check agricultural stubsidies article in McWickipedia.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Food prices are much lower that they were in the early 1900s. Agricultural subsidies changed in the 1970s, driving down the cost of food. Read about the policy changes under the leadership of Ed Butz, if you're interested.
You really are not going to convince me that food prices are low right now and that anyone not affording groceries is just deluded.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
k15n1 said:
Food prices are much lower that they were in the early 1900s. Agricultural subsidies changed in the 1970s, driving down the cost of food. Read about the policy changes under the leadership of Ed Butz, if you're interested.
You really are not going to convince me that food prices are low right now and that anyone not affording groceries is just deluded.
If you factor inflation into the price and median income, food costs the average person less now than before the major changes in agricultural policy that took place in the 1970s.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
And that changes how rising food prices effect average families now in what way?!??!

Do you work for the Obama administration or something?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Maybe it's Turbo Tax Tim Geithner.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
There are programs that pay farmers to let fields lay fallow, but that's certainly not the only agricultural subsidy. I think it's time for someone to go check agricultural stubsidies article in McWickipedia.
Agian with the Wiki? is that where you get all your info from? because as I stated earlier it's a public forum... Anyone can say whatever they like there doesn't make it 100% true... Not saying it's all bad but not 100% trustworthy....

So you missed my main point... The gov't is paying Farmers to NOT grow food... to drive UP the price... how is that one single point helping us the consumer??

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
And that changes how rising food prices effect average families now in what way?!??!
That's basically what I've been asking too and notice how that part goes unanswered and is ignored... He keeps going back to prices from years ago without any substantial backing....

I'm thinking he's just trying to stir the pot at this point and doesn't actually want to discus the real issue at hand... Similar to how trolls like to cause issues on forums...

And since he likes wiki so well....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:

Do you work for the Obama administration or something?
Historical facts about agricultural subsidies are not issues in the current political debates. Not that I know of, at least. I wish they were talking about something practical like that. Let's not make this political, or the thread'll get shut down.

Look, even if prices are effectively higher, food is still a small part of most peoples' expenditures. For those with a very small income, it's a bigger piece fo the pie, but food is relatively cheap in the USA. Or perhaps I'm terrible mistaken. I'll seriously consider evidence to the contrary. But if you don't have facts and rational analysis, don't bother with personal attacks. When I have trouble finding facts to support my point of view, I usually discover that 1) it's an opinion, 2) it's a philosophical point of view, 3) I'm wrong. I think I have some facts to support my claims, but I'll consider other points of view.