Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
"The entire episode started with a Johnny Carson Tonight Show monologue. On December 19, 1973, the writers for the show had heard earlier the federal government was falling behind in getting bids to supply toilet paper and that it might be possible that in a few months the United States could face a shortage of toilet tissue. They took the words of this Wisconsin congressional representative, Harold Froehlich and decided to add a joke for Carson for the evening show.

Carson did in fact use the joke in a monologue stating, "You know what's disappearing from the supermarket shelves? Toilet paper. There's an acute shortage of toilet paper in the United States."

Much to the amazement of not only the show but of toilet paper factories across America, 20 million people that watched the Carson show that evening ran out in the morning and bought as much toilet paper as they could carry. By noon on December 20, 1973, practically every store in America was out of stock. Many of the stores tried to ration this valuable paper but they could not keep up with the demand no matter what they did. "

http://thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com/trivia74.html

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Boogity said:
I read the article from the NIA. I also did some research on the organization. They're, to me, some whacked out fringe group that is trying to freak out the population (and sell their publications). It appears that they are somewhat successful. They have absolutely no basis for their predictions.

BTW - Glenn does more research on his topics than any other televised reporter.
funny I always felt I had caught Beck in lies and hipocracy.... with him you have to follow the money... as he changes his tune to keep pace with the pide pipper. Research? more like sensationalism.
Beck is not a reporter. He is a mouth piece. He is given talking points and he simply regurgitates them in a trust me fashion.

I agree it never hurts to be prepared. With the fed getting ready to stop subsidies to the farmers, prices will go up for sure. The farmers and the producers sure aren't going to take the hit. You won't see any reduction in taxes because of the stopping of subsidies either. Just higher prices for people that can't afford it.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
The price of TP hasn't gone up here either (yet) and the number of squares has remained the same, but the weight of the pack has decreased. I guess they've found a way to either make it thinner or to otherwise use less paper. :rolleyes:

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
The price of TP hasn't gone up here either (yet) and the number of squares has remained the same, but the weight of the pack has decreased. I guess they've found a way to either make it thinner or to otherwise use less paper. :rolleyes:
I guess that's the TP manufacturer equivalent of making the package smaller, like with cereal, etc. :/

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can't even begin to tell you how mad it makes me to have the packages decreased... I would rather just pay the higher price...

I get so mad having to buy 2 boxes of cereal taking up 2 times the space in my cabinet... having 2 boxes to either burn or toss out taking up space in my trash can or kitchen counter till I can get them burnt... All for the same amount of cereal... and you know in the long run you are paying more for it all because now you are paying for excess packaging!!!! :rant

And I hate when they slip it in and hope you won't notice... So I drag 3 kiddos through 3-4 stores hunting bargains... I don't have time to check the oz all the time... so I buy my usual box Looks the same as always right?! Get it all home and don't have enough in the box for my recipes or dinner plans that week because they didn't want to raise the the price! and wanted to keep me happy :barnie

ok end rant! hahaha but I just had this happen with 2 things I usually buy this week and it really got me upset! I know prices are going up... So just raise the dang price already and quit messing with my stuff!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Rant away my friend. They count on you being too busy to look at the package weight or the per unit cost.

For me, while I am busy and only have 1 kid to watch, the biggest issue is I am 47 and CAN'T READ THE TINY TYPE!!!! I need bifocals, and that is my problem, but the manufacturers and the stores seem to be going out of their way to make sure you can't fairly judge what you are getting.

Like when you have 2 products from different manufacturers side by side, one will have the tiny unit cost as "per pound". The other one shows "per each". Some times you will have "per ounce" "per each" "per 100 ct" and "per lb" all in the same area.

My calculator on the cell phone has gotten quite the workout lately.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Here is an interesting story from earlier in the year...

"For 2010, the USDA forecasts grocery-store and restaurant prices will both rise 2.5% to 3.5%. "Retail food price inflation in 2010 will rebound from the 2009 level toward a moderate level, slightly above the long-term historical average," the USDA said.

Food-price inflation will not be as strong as 2008, when corn, wheat, soybean and fuel prices skyrocketed, sending the all-food CPI price index up 5.5%, the government said.

Food inflation was tame last year, with the all-food index up 1.8% over 2008. "
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-government-trims-food-inflation-forecast-2010-01-26

ChickenToes

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Around here I've noticed TP, coffee, and butter have all gone up in price. And that's just the stuff I noticed last time I went shopping several weeks ago. I'm going shopping again this weekend and I'm sure I'll find even more high prices that will just about make my eyes pop out.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Rant away my friend. They count on you being too busy to look at the package weight or the per unit cost.

For me, while I am busy and only have 1 kid to watch, the biggest issue is I am 47 and CAN'T READ THE TINY TYPE!!!! I need bifocals, and that is my problem, but the manufacturers and the stores seem to be going out of their way to make sure you can't fairly judge what you are getting.

Like when you have 2 products from different manufacturers side by side, one will have the tiny unit cost as "per pound". The other one shows "per each". Some times you will have "per ounce" "per each" "per 100 ct" and "per lb" all in the same area.

My calculator on the cell phone has gotten quite the workout lately.
Remember as naive 12-year-olds, we would complain that we would never use algebra??? :lol:

Latest posts