Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
While there may not be a lot of political unrest in the US (at least so far), crime is sure up.

Tuna is another one that has really shrunk in amount but price went up a little.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
At the local wally world, half the produce section is just EMPTY. No regular carrots for the past week. Just those chemical treated "baby carrot" things.

At the local Safeway, the prices are too high.

I just ran out of bagged veggies though so I can't put it off any more. I think I will just go to Sam's and buy in bulk. I am also checking the sale ads for loss leaders. Albertson's has cheap broccoli so I will stock up, big stems or not. If you peel the stems they are actually pretty tasty so I use those too :D

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
freemotion said:
And a LOT of water comes out of store bought meat....how do they DO that?
They inject it with water. Chemically laden water, usually with a bit of stock in it or brine. Tons of salt. "Natural additives".

And take a knife with you - cut off the stems so they don't weigh in.

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you have a juicer, the stems of broccoli mixed with a little apple and/or carrot are delicious and very nutritious.

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
And take a knife with you - cut off the stems so they don't weigh in.
can't you get in trouble for doing that? I always want to break off some stems, but i think i might get arrested :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I eat my stems or use in cooking. No stem problem for me.
Brocc and cauliflower are fab to me! can't tear me away

It did just dawn on me that product is leaving stores. they are stocking what the sellers are and can't afford to waste precious selling space on items that are too expensive anymore.

our buying power with our cash will hurt food companies dearly I am sure.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Wal-Mart CEO Bill Simon expects inflation

"U.S. consumers face "serious" inflation in the months ahead for clothing, food and other products, the head of Wal-Mart's U.S. operations warned Wednesday."

The warnings of price increases keep coming. When you look at the increases in the cost of raw materials (commodities) over the last 6 months to a year, you can imagine what type of retail increases we may be seeing.

Orange Juice is up 20%
Cattle 25%
Hogs 26%
Soybean 49%
Wheat 64%
Wheat 64%
Coffee 93%
Corn 100%
Cotton 144%

I realize that I'm, for the most part, preaching to the choir. I just believe that vast majority of families will be hit unaware, and most of these will be those that are the most vulnerable.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I was just going to post that but you beat me to it.

Walmart is very cost conscious through its whole supply chain. If they say there is going to be inflation, you better believe it.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
"European inflation unexpectedly accelerated to the fastest in more than two years in March as European Central Bank policy makers prepared to raise interest rates to fight increasing price pressures.

Inflation in the 17-nation euro region quickened to 2.6 percent from 2.4 percent in February, the European Unions statistics office in Luxembourg said today in an initial estimate. Thats the fastest since October 2008 and exceeds the ECBs 2 percent limit for a fourth month. Economists forecast inflation to hold at 2.4 percent, the median of 32 estimates in a Bloomberg News survey showed.

ECB President Jean-Claude Trichet earlier this month called for strong vigilance on price increases, signaling that the bank may raise its benchmark interest rate in April from a record low of 1 percent. The German economy, Europes largest, has driven the regions expansion as companies boosted hiring and output, helping offset the impact of surging energy costs and tougher austerity measures in countries such as Spain.

April is a done deal for the ECB and todays release adds to that view, said Nick Kounis, chief European economist at ABN Amro Bank NV in Amsterdam. Beyond April, there will be a gradual pace of rate hikes. Headline inflation is going to be comfortably above 2 percent for the whole of this year. "
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...ccelerates-to-fastest-since-october-2008.html

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Wal-Mart CEO Bill Simon expects inflation

"U.S. consumers face "serious" inflation in the months ahead for clothing, food and other products, the head of Wal-Mart's U.S. operations warned Wednesday."

The warnings of price increases keep coming. When you look at the increases in the cost of raw materials (commodities) over the last 6 months to a year, you can imagine what type of retail increases we may be seeing.

Orange Juice is up 20%
Cattle 25%
Hogs 26%
Soybean 49%
Wheat 64%
Wheat 64%
Coffee 93%
Corn 100%
Cotton 144%

I realize that I'm, for the most part, preaching to the choir. I just believe that vast majority of families will be hit unaware, and most of these will be those that are the most vulnerable.
Hee-hee, looks like it won't impact me too much.....gotta get those hogs soon, though. And increase the garden space for corn and grains. Got my co-op order in for all the wheat we will need for about two years or more. I'll get cornmeal from my garden for the occasional cornbread and will start making my chips for occasional nachos. HAH! Take that, food industry! HAH! :p

Latest posts