Food Processors

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I need to get a new food processor. Any recommendations? I would like one that is easy to take the top on and off and has enough capacity.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
I need to get a new food processor. Any recommendations? I would like one that is easy to take the top on and off and has enough capacity.
I got this one about 4 months ago after yet another cheaper processor died. I use it almost daily and I'm really happy with it. It has a smaller bowl and chopper that fit into the larger one if you don't need to do as much. I find it easy to clean, put together and store. It comes with a box that stores all the accessories.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...&ie=UTF-8&cid=11656254124302149521&os=reviews

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is one I am considering. I love my Kitchen Aid mixer. Is the lid easy to get on and off? I got rid of my last one because the lid drove me nuts. What size capacity is your bowl? They even come in red!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have only ever had a Cuisinart. MIL bought it for me probably 10 years ago. It's still running strong.

g

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd gone through about three of the darn things when Greg bought me the top o' the line, heavy duty, 14 cup Cuisinart. That puppy is super, duper tough and I use it for everything now that I'm not afraid that it's going to break everytime I use it. I can chop up veggies, mix dough, mix meat, chop up nuts, grate hard and soft cheeses....ah, it's just wondrous.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I just use a knife :hu I have a tiny little cheapy that I use for my "hellish relish" but usually just use a knife. I can't justify a food processor :hu Do you all use them a lot?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
This is one I am considering. I love my Kitchen Aid mixer. Is the lid easy to get on and off? I got rid of my last one because the lid drove me nuts. What size capacity is your bowl? They even come in red!
I find it much easier to get on and off and I had problems with my old cheapo too. This one has a 12 cup and 4 cup bowl. It feels very well built, much more substantial than my old ones.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Woodland Woman said:
I find it much easier to get on and off and I had problems with my old cheapo too. This one has a 12 cup and 4 cup bowl. It feels very well built, much more substantial than my old ones.
The Kitchenaid is a nice one and works much better than a cheap unit. We had to replace the lid 2x though because the shaft that the blades go on uses the hole in the center of the lid as a bearing and wears out eventually. Then the shaft wobbles and wears out the bearings in the motor that is in the base. We still have it in the pantry for a back up. Making soap was a little too much for it and is what wore the upper bearing out. It needs another new lid and they run about 45.00 with shipping.

The Cuisenart has about a 3rd more power and is built a little more ruggedly. DW uses it at least once a day and cuts a lot of hard cheese and stuff that is hard to do like dough.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
DW got herself this one. http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-14-Cup-Digital-Food-Processor/12311468 I think I use it more that she does! :D

We use a lot of shredded veggies in our cooking. We get beef a half at a time, making bulk batches of meatloaf with lots of celery, carrots, and onions, so it goes much quicker with it (and the kids can "chop up" the veggies).

During canning season, I use it to puree tomatoes and peppers for my salsas. It's perfect for chopping cabbage for slaw or kraut.

We seem to use it more in the summer when we have the fresh garden veggies.