Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Think I am going to join the posting...
gifted a six pack of manwich (lol)
25 pounds of jasmine rice $15.00

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for coming aboard and reminding me about it. Since we buy food monthly, we REALLY never run out any more. It's just piling up. I did go and buy about 20# of split chicken breasts the other day for $1 a pound. I love it when it goes on sale.

Cassandra

melgsix

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I stocked my deep freezer and pantry for about 2.5 - 3 weeks of dry and frozen foods and here are the results. I won't tell you what I spent, but the reciept was taller than my eleven year old son. :th
4 bags frozen fruit
5 bags broccoli
5 bags mixed veggies
1 bag French fries
10 cans juice
2 boxes fish sticks
2 pkgs hash browns
2 pkgs biscuits
2 pkgs cinnamon rolls
2 rolls cookie dough
4 breakfast meats
4 pkgs lunck meat
2 pkgs hot dogs
2 blocks cheese
2 tubs butter
4 boxes pancake mix
7 boxes cereal
4 jars apple sauce
24 pkgs ramen noodles
5 boxes spaghetti noodles
5 jars spaghetti sauce
2 boxes baby cereal
10 pkgs noodle dinners
10 pkgs rice dinners
56 cans veggies
28 cans fruit
4 boxes mac & cheese
3 boxes oatmeal
42 pkgs hot chocolate
21 pkgs snacks
1 case water bottles
1 jar pickles or relish
4 jars salsa
2 bags chips
2 bag beef jerky
1 box trash bags
1 box carpet powder
7 rolls paper towels
2 pkgs spoons
2 pkgs forks
2 pkgs bowls
1 pkg plates
1 bag burgers
2 bottles catsup
2 jars mayo
1 bottle tartar sauce
2 pkgs rags
1 bottle bathroom cleaner
1 box toilet scrubbies
2 bottle rubbing alcohol
I bottle hand sanitizer
1 bottle shampoo
2 bottle kids shampoo
4 bars soap
1 bottle conditioner
2 boxes borax
2 boxes baking soda
1 boxes dryer sheets
1 pkg bags
1 roll foil
1 roll saran wrap
8 buckets
2 Rubbermaid boxes
2 pkgs pads
2 boxes Band-Aids

melgsix

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Where do you all put your emergency supply of food?

Is it wise to put things like rice or pasta or dry beans in the freezer? I do that sometimes. And I know it's economical to keep your freezer full. But it is better to fill the freezer with jugs of water, or do these items that don't really freeze do just as good?

Cassandra
I buy paint buckets with lids. Every time I go to the store I buy more noodle, rice, beans, ect. I just throw the bags ( a different bucket for each item) in the buckets and replace the lids. When you have several full buckets you open all the packages and dump them in the buckets. (don't forget to wash and dry them well.) When all of your buckets are full then you quickly throw a couple of oxygen absorbers in each bucket and snap on the lid. You have to make sure the lids seal good and don't open the OA's until all your buckets are ready to be sealed otherwise they won't work. Store foods that your gonna use, not a bunch of stuff you'll never eat. This will keep for about a year, after that you'll need to start eating it. I keep mine in closets, the pantry, the garage, and any where else I can find empty space.

melgsix

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
annmarie said:
I'm so glad I went back to read some of the earlier posts on this thread. I didn't realize that brown rice goes rancid so easily! I have 10 pounds sitting on a shelf at home. I'll be putting some of that in the freezer this evening! Some of you mentioned vacuum packing in jars. I'm assuming you have some kind of vacuum packing equipment, or am I missing something?
If you don't have a machine you can just throw an oxygen absorber into each jar before closing. It will vacuum seal the jar for you. You have to work fast though, so you should have all your jars ready before you open the OA's, otherwise they won't work.

melgsix

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Albertsons had steaks buy one get two free. I got $90 of steak for $30. If theres an emergency atleast we'll eat well.:D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have bought about 40#'s of ground beef over the last week. Broke it down in to meal sized portions and vacuum bagged it. Now if I can keep my husband and son from having a contest to see how fast they can eat it :barnie

I swear they see a stocked cupboard or freezer as a "challenge".

I also bought some #10 cans of crushed tomatoes. They were $2.73 each. It doesn't make any sense to pay all that extra for the individual little cans.