Food storage list must haves

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
justusnak said:
OK, so I sat here and re read through all 11 pages. I wanted to make sure I wasnt going to double post something. One thing I havent seen on anyones list.....Aluminum foil. Believe it or not...it is a very versatile product..and when cooking outside it is very helpfull. Have a fuse go out, foil is good to use in an emergency. Cant get that radio to pick up a station ( if there is one working) Foil will help. You can use foil, and batteries to spark a fire. I am trying to get 4 or 5 rolls, every time I go to town. It wont go bad...and..might be a good barter tool later! ;) And....dont forget the CLOROX bleach. When and if it gets bad...disease will be prominent. We will need to disinfect everything as often as possible. Tape...yes, Duct tape. Its very handy when those tarps tear, and you can't get another.
Don't forget you can make replacements for all your tinfoil hats! sorry--I couldn't resist!!!! :hide :lol:

Seriously though tin foil is an extremely useful thign to have--glad you caught it!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
It will also come in handy to line pans with if we have a limited water supply so we can cook & not have to wash the pan.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Guess what I was just thinking yesterday when I was at the store? "Gee, Tinfoil sure is handy to have in an emergency, maybe I better buy some!"

Then I pop in this thread and here ya go :D

Laurie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
:frow I saw a thread about Rice's shelf life, Was it Brown Rice that goes bad in 6 to 9 mo. or Instant??
I use Bay Leaves inside my buckets, to keep out pests (bugs) they don't like the smell and go away!!
I found on yahoo search info on plastic buckets food grade vs other
garbage bags ect. When storing food for people, Use only food grade buckets, Bags can be treated with bad chemicals thats why food liners are best.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Laurie said:
:frow I saw a thread about Rice's shelf life, Was it Brown Rice that goes bad in 6 to 9 mo. or Instant??
Brown rice does not store as well as white, but it can be stored in the freezer to keep it fresh longer.

ETA :welcome

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Anybody storing alcohol in their food storage, wine, whiskey, whatever?
Think it would be a good barter item?

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Anybody storing alcohol in their food storage, wine, whiskey, whatever?
Think it would be a good barter item?
I have thought about it, but can't afford to stock much of it right now.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I stocked up on champagne yeast. I can always make mead if I have that on hand.