Food storage list must haves

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Just stocking up for our own consumption. wondering about making a still since we are growing corn now. Looking into wine making as we are growing grapes too now.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Wifezilla I like how your mind works with all the references to mead, I have never tried to make it but am sure it would be fairly easy.

A still would be handy for distilling drinking water, you would have to aerate it after wards to make it palatable but in an emergency it would work, it could even be solar powered. A pot still is very easy and cheap to make too.

A simple sugar source, tomato paste, yeast, and water is all that would be needed to make a wash, also known as a must, beer, or low wines. In a week you could easily have gallons of 10% alcohol. In the winter you could jack it by freezing to double the alcohol content, for medicinal purposes only of course. In the USA and most of the world it is illegal to distill alcohol but wines and beers and to my knowledge jacking is all legal to a point.

A note of caution if you use any sugars or additives that are fruit based ie apples and such they are high in pectins and thefore create methonal in your wash and should be distilled and discarded before being drunk, simple sugar will only create a very small amount and can be overlooked.

peckndirt

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I didn't read every thing that was posted , but , I would get as much salt as I could in a barrel or whatever .I salt a lot of meat and fish ,and smoke some, in case of long term power outages .You can soak the salt out before cooking. The bit about making moonshine,thats easy, making it right is an art. One thing you need is a good cast iron stove to cook on and for heat. The list of food items i would want for long term storage are, ground wheat, rice,beans, salt,instant potatoes,tomato paste,dried fruits,any seeds,vinegar,jack daniels, and sugar,but thats just me.I also have a collection of traps and 22 caliber bullets because they are cheap and efficient.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
justusnak said:
OK, so I sat here and re read through all 11 pages. I wanted to make sure I wasnt going to double post something. One thing I havent seen on anyones list.....Aluminum foil. Believe it or not...it is a very versatile product..and when cooking outside it is very helpfull. Have a fuse go out, foil is good to use in an emergency. Cant get that radio to pick up a station ( if there is one working) Foil will help. You can use foil, and batteries to spark a fire. I am trying to get 4 or 5 rolls, every time I go to town. It wont go bad...and..might be a good barter tool later! ;) And....dont forget the CLOROX bleach. When and if it gets bad...disease will be prominent. We will need to disinfect everything as often as possible. Tape...yes, Duct tape. Its very handy when those tarps tear, and you can't get another.
Don't forget you can make replacements for all your tinfoil hats! sorry--I couldn't resist!!!! :hide :lol:

Seriously though tin foil is an extremely useful thign to have--glad you caught it!
tinfoil hats! that is hilarious! :lol:

I haven't read all the posts, and this isn't strictly food, but if you use prescription meds, see if you can get an extra Rx filled or get samples.

kenandheidicorcran

Power Conserver
Reaction score
heatherv said:
Asher said:
Some off the top of my head would be:
Flour
Rice
Sugar
Salt
Canned tuna

None food products:
Toilet paper
Feminine Hygeine products
Diapers/babywipes if you have children (babywipes I think would be great either way)
I''d add beans to that
Dont forget some comfort foods also. Popcorn, hard candy for the kids, coco powder for hot chocolate, cake and cookie mix etc. These go a long way to improve morale when times get tough.

Latest posts