Food storage "out of the closet"?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Glenn Beck did a long segment on his TV show today regarding food storage (please, no flaming comments about him being a lunatic, etc)...as far as I know, he's the only well-known figure even talking about this. He talked alot about the price of corn going up, so by extension the price of LOTS of other things will as well. (As well as the price of clothes going up because of cotton prices.) Do you think food storage/emergency prep will finally/eventually go "mainstream"? Or will the vast majority of people continue to keep their heads in the sand?

Personally I don't know a single person prepping (but then, most of us keep our plans to ourselves). ;)

Also, his studio audience was 95% women; don't know if that was by design, members of a group, a coincidence, or whatever. I have noticed that it appears the majority of the members of this forum are women. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think a lot of people feel like what they have is adequate or that they can always buy what they need when they need it. There are more people out there who think preppers are paranoid and delusional nuts than there are preppers.

The idea of prepping is slowly growing....but I don't personally know anyone of whom I would consider a prepper. I wouldn't even consider myself a prepper....maybe Prepper Lite. :p

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
The idea of prepping is slowly growing....but I don't personally know anyone of whom I would consider a prepper. I wouldn't even consider myself a prepper....maybe Prepper Lite. :p
I suppose everyone has a different definition of prepping...I have nowhere near a year's supply of food, for instance, so to some I'm a rank amateur. But if my friends & relatives knew how many supplies I did have...yeah, they'd prolly think I was a nut. (oh well!)

(edited for spelling!)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Do you think food storage/emergency prep will finally/eventually go "mainstream"? Or will the vast majority of people continue to keep their heads in the sand?
I believe that prepping will indeed go mainstream. Unfortunately, that will happen with most of the public as they rush into the grocery stores to find nothing but bare shelves.

I do know quite a few people who would be considered preppers. I am part of a group (it's more like a Tea Party Group) that follows politics and gets involved with elections, we have speakers on a range of subjects such as political science, food storage, gardening, financial preps, etc. Someone I know even presented information on emergency communications.

If there isn't such a group in your area, maybe you could consider starting one. :)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
I am part of a group... we have speakers on a range of subjects such as political science, food storage, gardening, financial preps, etc. Someone I know even presented information on emergency communications.

If there isn't such a group in your area, maybe you could consider starting one. :)
That sounds awesome, k0xxx! You know, I have thought about doing just that, but didn't know how to go about it. :/

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't think food storage will become mainstream. I think Glenn's show tonight will get a lot more people thinking about it and maybe a percentage will actually do some preparation, but I think the majority of Americans will just keep on with business as usual, either through ignorance or fear, like a deer caught in the headlights.

This past weekend, a close friend (who thinks I'm nuts by the way), spent a ton of money at some yard sales on a bunch of crap she didn't need (more clothing, more furniture, etc.). She told me, "I'm afraid for my job. Might as well spend it while I've got it." Ignorance or fear?

Me, I got 2 pint canning jars, and a brand new fleece coat for one of my dogs. Total spent: 80.

My extra money is going for food storage.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My friends all think I am a total nutjob anyway...LOL

One is interested in gardening, not out of worry for shortages, she just knows the industrial food system is slowly poisoning us all. If it gets her accidentally more prepared, more power to her :D

Another friend tries to stock up and does see the way things are going, but she is worn out. Too many family demands (disabled brother, mom in a nursing home, daughter living at home with a baby....). Her husband, however, did try his hand at gardening and actually managed a decent crop of potatoes :D I have given them a complete supply of seeds so he can expand next year.

I have one wealthy friend who isn't stocked on food, but she is only a few months away from paying off her house. That will sure give her some piece of mind.

The rest are either completely clueless with no desire to know the facts or think they have good secure jobs so things wont effect them.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, the price of corn won't impact us as much as it will most Americans, as we are gradually opting out of a corn-based diet. Most of the items on the supermarket shelves have corn in them in one form or another. The only corn-based foods we buy are meats and a little dairy (butter, cheddar) but we could live without these if needed as we continue to gear up to food independence.

No, I don't consider myself to be a prepper (Prepper-Free? Very funny, Bee and Tanks!!! :lol: ) but my food storage is more about health, which means food independence for me. When you grow your own food, you naturally have to store it.

The more independent you are, the less you have to store for long term, and the less you care about the prices in the grocery store.