Food storage "out of the closet"?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
People tell me if the world ends Im coming to your house but luckily they dont know where I live so I got lucky there. I wouldnt say I am a prepper although I have tons of food in storage, lots of reproductive animals, and some feed stored. But I am more into the sustainability aspect, and less government intervention. But planning for an emergency is a good idea.....I would be Diet Prepper Lite with NO caffeine. :lol:

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I wouldnt say I am a prepper although I have tons of food in storage, lots of reproductive animals, and some feed stored. But I am more into the sustainability aspect, and less government intervention. But planning for an emergency is a good idea.....I would be Diet Prepper Lite with NO caffeine. :lol:
Sounds to me like you ARE a prepper, BB, whether you like it or not! :lol:

Besides, people are saying it like it's a bad word...! ;)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
BarredBuff said:
I wouldnt say I am a prepper although I have tons of food in storage, lots of reproductive animals, and some feed stored. But I am more into the sustainability aspect, and less government intervention. But planning for an emergency is a good idea.....I would be Diet Prepper Lite with NO caffeine. :lol:

Well I guess at heart I am!!! I am glad I am self reliant.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
BarredBuff said:

OH it is a bad word... cause once you get started it's addicting... ROFL like a drug... HAHAHA Each year I keep canning and dehydrating more and more...

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
i_am2bz said:
BarredBuff said:

OH it is a bad word... cause once you get started it's addicting... ROFL like a drug... HAHAHA Each year I keep canning and dehydrating more and more...
That is so very true!! Just a few more animals each year:
July 2009: 11 RIR and a Beehive
May 2010: 35 Doms, 4 RIR, 15 BRs, 3 Beehives, 3 Rabbits
November 2010: 19 assorted chickens, 4 Beehives, 4 Rabbits, 4 Ducks
July 2011 (Planned): 35 Laying Hens, 25 Meat roos, 4 beehives, 6 Ducks, 6 Rabbits, X amount of meat ducks, 15 Meat Rabbits
My livestock math is great.
From 12 to 51 in just two years

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
Dang, that is so funny!! DH & I were watching Glenn's show, & he was interviewing the founder of TheSurvivalMom.com about her food storage...anyway, they showed a room in her house with huge shelves of cans & jars, 5 gallon buckets, etc...& I just burst out "Oh man, that's what I want! I am soooo jealous!" :lol:

(Forget having a new car, plasma TV, designer clothes, etc...I want a room full of stored food!!) :love

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
And I turn and watch a full wagon of hay go by and drool! :lol:

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A lot of these preppers seem to think that a large storage closet of food and supplies is going to save them. Personally, I think they need to learn how to provide all those things for themselves off their own land if they truly want to be prepared. If there is someone with a crop of potatoes in the ground and a lot of fruit ripening on the trees (with a stock of jars to can the fruit in when it gets ripe), a few chickens for eggs and meat, a garden for vegetables, a loom to make cloth, etc. Is this a "prepper"? Yet, six months to a year after TEOTWAWNKI these sorts of homesteader folks will be pretty much doing things the same way while the official prepper folks with the storage closet full of food and ammo and a safe room to hide in will be emerging from an empty closet.

In our neighborhood we have a lot of folks prepared for all sorts of things, but we are at the end of a 2,500 mile supply chain which occasionally breaks so folks are kinda used to getting by until whatever it is that isn't available at the time reappears again. Last big earthquake, the neighborhood folks had their equipment out clearing off the highway so the County folks could get out this way. Everyone pretty much took care of each other and that's pretty much what happens in disasters around here.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think that is more a SS thingy than a prepper thing...I drive by these large and very perfectly stacked wood piles and do a double take. And dream of having that at my house! Drooling over hay, firewood or lumber piles has been something I've been doing for some time now....and my kids laugh at me about it. :rolleyes:

I'm more like Barred Buff and Free...we make a lot of our own food and barely buy anything from the store, so we have to have some ingredients in storage.

And a good bit of my food is running around in the back yard, so I guess that is stored also.

I think I prep in a totally different way than most mainstream preppers seem to do. I do not stock up on sale items in the stores because, if I wouldn't eat it now, I sure as heck don't want to eat it later. I don't store large quantities of things I wouldn't eat on a daily basis, no matter how cheap.

I have about 140 lbs of red turkey wheat stored and sealed into metal cans...but purely by default. Someone gifted them to me but I would never have taken the time or the thought to do this on my own.

I guess I don't really feel the need to prepare for some food shortage or economic decline because my life has always been lived on the edge of both and I have been riding that bicycle all my life.

I am as prepared as I could ever be because I know I can live without and produce my own.