Food Storage?

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Haven't seen this come up in a while and I want to get folks thoughts :) When I was out of work I had about a years worth of food for the family (10 of us) put up. What little money I made or got from unemployment was able to be spent elsewhere with the exception of flour, animal feed etc.

One of my mistakes was I purchased lots and lots and lots of canned goods. Now I love having lots of them, but this time around I don't want my food storage to consist of mainly wet pack. I am wanting more of a rounded mix, and with the weather being a bit off this year, I don't want to have to worry about power/heat etc. Also, wet pack foods are cheap to a point.. but buying bulk dry goods will stretch my budget farther.

Which has led me to looking at long term storage of grains, beans, rice, wheat berries etc. I am going to start packing into 5 gal buckets with mylar bags and an o2 absorber sealed in there. This way I can put it in the dark damp corner of the basement room (where I am venting to make a true root cellar enviroment) without worry it'll get wet, or ruined. That area keeps a constant 40 degrees in the winter and about 55-60 at the highest in the summer. The humidity down there is clammy though.. may have to work at that...

Any suggestions on quanities per person? I know packing dry will eliminate many of the preservatives and salts that commercially canned foods have and looking for a good balance. How much wet to dry?

PS, in a worst case scenario; I am bugging in, not out unless pushed. And if I bug out it'll be a 6 hour drive and I want to at least have food that that can be quick and easy to move (not 50,000 loose cans rolling around)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Boyd I dried a lot of food this past year. I'm not too much into canning, yet. Anyway, the dried is lighter weight and takes up a LOAD less space. I dried 8 pounds of tomatoes and they fit in a single pint jar. Nutritionally, I think it is better too, definately better on space! Just an idea.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Here is a link to an online food storage calculator. They use amounts that are based on the recommendations listed in the LDS Church's Home Production and Storage manual. It's pretty good.

Food Storage Calculator

ETA: This is a very basic list that is good as a starting place. There is a lot of customizing that should be done based on your individual preferences.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
And if you are looking for a list that covers a little more on the health food side, KerryAnn at www.cookingtf.com has a large EP section in her forum.
She also has lists that help sort through food allergies and how to store for them as well.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, those prices really are good! Are non-Mormons allowed to buy from them?

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chipmunk said:
Yep. Anyone can buy the stuff for personal use. No re-selling of the items.

They have facilities to pack the bulk items into smaller metal cans or mylar bags, or you can just take bulk bags home.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
chipmunk said:
Yep. Anyone can buy the stuff for personal use. No re-selling of the items.

They have facilities to pack the bulk items into smaller metal cans or mylar bags, or you can just take bulk bags home.
That's good to know :) I was never aware they sold to non members, but have often seen the canneries mentioned on forums.

Koxx, That food storage calculator looks awesome, I'm re-doing my lists for rotation already :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is a great calculator. I am going to divide by 3. That way I can fill in the gaps and see what I need to cover at least a 3 month supply. Then move up to 6 and so on.

Tamlynn I am going to check your link and see if I can find a storage center near me. Can you explain to me the **Packaged by customer note?

g

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
That is a great calculator. I am going to divide by 3. That way I can fill in the gaps and see what I need to cover at least a 3 month supply. Then move up to 6 and so on.

Tamlynn I am going to check your link and see if I can find a storage center near me. Can you explain to me the **Packaged by customer note?

g
You do the work of packing your desired amount into cans and sealing them. Hence the extra savings.
We are looking into also seeing if our local storage will let us shop as well.

I hope it does not mean will get house visits though :(