Food Storage?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks BBrooks. hey I almost wore a skirt the other day!! I thought of you. :D

Well I just went over the storage calculator and did the math for a 3 month supply. I am very well stocked on the basics but need to add more fruits and veggies. But according to the math I need 45 lbs of corn, peas, green beans etc.. Now would this be frozen, canned, dried or a combo of all of the above?

And the dairy. According to the weight of one of my #10 cans. 3 lbs. I would need 30 #10 cans to equal 90 lbs or a 3 month supply.

That's a lot of cans. Am I interpreting this wrong?

Where's Dac when I need him?

g

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
I hope it does not mean will get house visits though :(
I'm sure they're not going to track you down at home just because you buy stuff from them. :lol: However, if missionaries do show up at your door, you can always tell them politely you are not interested in talking to them.

Gina, there is a center in San Diego. I haven't been to it, but I would guess it's larger and open more hours than the one in Fountain Valley. The poundage for veggies is probably a canned or frozen weight. You don't have to be exact, but it's a good general amount.

I think you did your math right on your dry milk. It's up to you if you actually use that much. You may want to store the milk in different containers like the mylar pouches which hold 5 lbs.

I like the mylar pouches because they don't rust. You could also use bigger buckets and that would take up less space than #10 cans too.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Thanks BBrooks. hey I almost wore a skirt the other day!! I thought of you. :D

Well I just went over the storage calculator and did the math for a 3 month supply. I am very well stocked on the basics but need to add more fruits and veggies. But according to the math I need 45 lbs of corn, peas, green beans etc.. Now would this be frozen, canned, dried or a combo of all of the above?

And the dairy. According to the weight of one of my #10 cans. 3 lbs. I would need 30 #10 cans to equal 90 lbs or a 3 month supply.

That's a lot of cans. Am I interpreting this wrong?

Where's Dac when I need him?

g
Hiding in Riverside County.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:frow Dac,
You lurker you!!! I hope you are enjoying your vacation to the left coast. The weather has sure cleared up nicely for you. :D

Tamlynn, thanks for the veggie info. On the milk, I currently have a few #10 cans of the Provident Pantry, green with cows. I really like it. I bought all the parts and pieces for the Make a Mix book. Dehydrated egg, butter powder etc.. I do pancake mix and stuff with it now.

Maybe next time Emergency Essentials has a sale I will buy a case of milk. :hu

A little at a time.

g