For human consumption or animals?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Joined
Sep 27, 2010
Messages
13,375
Reaction score
662
Points
397
I have some dried tomatoes, and apparently some had not quite dried enough, a few have a smidge of mold. Is it dangerous to take that part off and consume them anyway? Or should I just toss them to the birds ground into their feed?
 

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Joined
Jan 15, 2011
Messages
267
Reaction score
57
Points
168
Location
Mo.
If there is mold I would not take the chance ;)
 

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Joined
Sep 27, 2010
Messages
13,375
Reaction score
662
Points
397
bambi said:
If there is mold I would not take the chance ;)
Yeah. I will make sure next year the crazy things are dried better :lol: I hate tossing food! I have plenty in the freezer too though. :)
 

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Messages
3,638
Reaction score
0
Points
168
Location
SE Indiana
I wouldn't give them to the chickens. Isn't mold bad for them as well? Compost those babies...
 

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Joined
Sep 27, 2010
Messages
13,375
Reaction score
662
Points
397
justusnak said:
I wouldn't give them to the chickens. Isn't mold bad for them as well? Compost those babies...
Yeah I'm not giving them the moldy pieces though. I'll pick it off for them :D They love tomatoes and would dig them out of the compost anyway, mold and all. :hu
 

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
12,430
Reaction score
3,084
Points
417
Location
Mountains of WV
Give them to the chickens...moldy veggies isn't the kind of mold that would hinder chickens. Heck, if chickens died from the moldy food I dug out of the back of my fridge, I wouldn't have had one chicken survive all these years!
 

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Joined
Sep 27, 2010
Messages
13,375
Reaction score
662
Points
397
Beekissed said:
Give them to the chickens...moldy veggies isn't the kind of mold that would hinder chickens. Heck, if chickens died from the moldy food I dug out of the back of my fridge, I wouldn't have had one chicken survive all these years!
:lol: Same here..I do on occassion give them things slightly moldy, but wasn't sure about this mold...it's just white powdery mold :sick I almost fed it to us :p It's very little and was hard to see :hu
 

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Moderator
Joined
Jul 17, 2008
Messages
275
Reaction score
0
Points
89
Location
BC, Washington border
Most white molds we see around food are in the penicillium family.

Aspergillus family can also appear white under the right circumstances. Thats the one that can cause reactions in humans and animals, but usually only when a suppressed immune system is part of the equation.
 

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Joined
Sep 27, 2010
Messages
13,375
Reaction score
662
Points
397
kstaven said:
Most white molds we see around food are in the penicillium family.

Aspergillus family can also appear white under the right circumstances. Thats the one that can cause reactions in humans and animals, but usually only when a suppressed immune system is part of the equation.
Thanks for that info. I thought I had read one of the white molds is dangerous.
 
Top