For human consumption or animals?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have some dried tomatoes, and apparently some had not quite dried enough, a few have a smidge of mold. Is it dangerous to take that part off and consume them anyway? Or should I just toss them to the birds ground into their feed?

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If there is mold I would not take the chance ;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
bambi said:
If there is mold I would not take the chance ;)
Yeah. I will make sure next year the crazy things are dried better :lol: I hate tossing food! I have plenty in the freezer too though. :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wouldn't give them to the chickens. Isn't mold bad for them as well? Compost those babies...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
justusnak said:
I wouldn't give them to the chickens. Isn't mold bad for them as well? Compost those babies...
Yeah I'm not giving them the moldy pieces though. I'll pick it off for them :D They love tomatoes and would dig them out of the compost anyway, mold and all. :hu

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Give them to the chickens...moldy veggies isn't the kind of mold that would hinder chickens. Heck, if chickens died from the moldy food I dug out of the back of my fridge, I wouldn't have had one chicken survive all these years!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Give them to the chickens...moldy veggies isn't the kind of mold that would hinder chickens. Heck, if chickens died from the moldy food I dug out of the back of my fridge, I wouldn't have had one chicken survive all these years!
:lol: Same here..I do on occassion give them things slightly moldy, but wasn't sure about this mold...it's just white powdery mold :sick I almost fed it to us :p It's very little and was hard to see :hu

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Most white molds we see around food are in the penicillium family.

Aspergillus family can also appear white under the right circumstances. Thats the one that can cause reactions in humans and animals, but usually only when a suppressed immune system is part of the equation.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
kstaven said:
Most white molds we see around food are in the penicillium family.

Aspergillus family can also appear white under the right circumstances. Thats the one that can cause reactions in humans and animals, but usually only when a suppressed immune system is part of the equation.
Thanks for that info. I thought I had read one of the white molds is dangerous.