For those of you who make bread....

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
You know~ I had heard of the pan of water, but didn't know what it did--

Thanks. Might try that on Friday to soften the crust. I also think the dough was a little dry, so next time I will watch how it kneads in the machine --to mak sure it is the right consistncy. I was busy this time and missd th kneading.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My dh prefers the shape of a loaf from the oven too. He likes the bread from the machine just not the shape. :th

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
A pan of hot water in the oven (no heat on) works well as a proofing spot. Just pour hot water into a pan, put your dough in there to rise. The nice warm humid atmosphere helps your dough to rise nicely and quickly.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks, Dace. My kitchen is cold (my house is cold), so I put the bread in the microwave to rise. (figured the enclosed space would retain the heat) I think next time I will try to let it rise as you suggested.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
Also, putting a dish of boiling water in the oven with your bread (on the rack below) will help keep the crust soft, too. Though, honestly, oven-baked bread tends to be crustier than the bread machine type, which cooks really slowly and isn't heated on top.
I put a pan of boiling water in th oven, below the bread for the last loaf I made. Th crust was softer, but it looked like the bottom wasn't as cooked as it should have been. I took it out of the pan, inverted it and bakd it a bit longer. So my ? now is--how much water in the pan?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Enough water so that it does not dry out. I add boiling water so that it is already producing steam when I shut the oven door.

Another tip if you are going to proof in the microwave is to warm up a coffee cup full of water and leave that in the micro with your bread to help it rise. As long as you are not getting the temp above 100ish it will be helpful.

Latest posts