For women only please!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I've made some by just sewing together 2-3 layers of flannel, using a store-boughten pad as a pattern. I wasn't all that happy with them, though.

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I am currently making more. I use a store bought pad for the pattern too. I went to the dollar store and bought alot of washcloths--some i used as a base with velcro closures, and then I attach two bands on the gusset part. then I take the extra washcloths, fold, and insert between the bands depending on your level of flow.

Store bought pads irritate me (I have sensitive skin :p) and i do NOT like tampons., so home made has suited me fine. Mind you--I am a stay at home mom--I don't usually wwear them out for very long "periods" of time--I still keep storebought ones in the house.

Mine ain't pretty, but they work.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Would you mind posting a pic of your homemade ones? I am one of those people who need visual aids, sorry. :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Totally going to have to check that out!

I am feeling frustrated, because with the first 4 babies I breastfed and didn't have the Red Monster for the entire year I nursed!

This time, my baby is almost 3 months, I am nursing, and I just started my monthly cycle!! :eek:
MY first 2 I started within 3 mos. But with dd(last one) I waited over 7 mos!!:woot :woot :woot
Boy did that make me happy. But they have been really heavy a lot of the time & I go thru so many pads that I thought I might be able to save some money making mine own.

I will check out the hillbilly housewife site, I haven't been on there for a long time.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Would you mind posting a pic of your homemade ones? I am one of those people who need visual aids, sorry. :)
Well, I'm not quite finished my new ones, and I WON"T show you my old ones, so if you don't mind waiting.... I need to have these new ones finished by around the 25th, if you know what I mean...

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Yes! Use store bought for a pattern, I used PUL for a base, and whatever you have for soaker.

Have you tried the Diva or sea sponges? I like the sponges best.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Although I don't get mine (on the depo shot) I was thinking that maybe using cloth diapers as a base, or even as the soaker...then you could soak them in either mild bleach solution and wash, or however you want to clean them....just a thought.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have been looking into the diva but have not decided yet.

La Banan

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am seven years past having a period but in the last five or so years I used The Keeper - a rubber cup that you use over and over. I was very very happy with it and it is expensive initially but way cheaper than buying plugs and pads over the long haul. The other neat thing is you end up knowing alot more about your body and your period by using one - that will have to be self explanatory...
jan la banan

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
Well, I'm not quite finished my new ones, and I WON"T show you my old ones, so if you don't mind waiting.... I need to have these new ones finished by around the 25th, if you know what I mean...
Oh yes, I will wait! ;)

I have heard of The Keeper, just wasn't sure I wanted to mess with putting a cup there, ya know?