Foraging

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
woodwzrd said:
Emerald

If you are worried about the honey mushrooms par boil them for about 3 minutes first before you cook with them. I am told that will draw out some of the toxins making them less upsetting. You have to make sure to cook them for about 15 minutes and that should eliminate any problems. They are all over the place here in west central WI too. I just picked about 8 lbs. today and will load up the dehydrator shortly. They reconstitute very nicely and when cooked retain their texture wonderfully. I have eaten them 4 times in the last week and have had no problems. If you have a positive ID start small and enjoy. The way I ID them is they are the only cluster growing mushroom that has white spores, a ring around the stalk, and a stringy tough stalk that doesn't break clean. Good luck
Thank you! That is some of the good advice that a friend gave me! Parboil and then cook for 15 minutes and then drain and batter and deep fry! When you dry them do you cook them first? Or does drying help with the toxin break down?

There were lion tooth mushrooms just starting out there too, and I missed the Chickens but I saw a couple of hens just starting.

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
those look just as yummy as the ones I have been picking. I usually pick them when they are smaller like just between teh button stage and fully open but last night I picked and fried up some that had 4" caps that were fully open to see if they were any different and to me they tasted liek a pork chop :drool they were really good. I personally don't par boil mine at all cause they don't bother anyone in my house.

As far an drying them I clean them and throw them in the dehydrator. They are essentially getting cooked just at a very low heat and odds are you are going to cook them when you reconstitute them as well.

I actually just took a batch out of the dehydrator this morning and fill and vaccum sealled 2 quart jars and will probably pick more this afternoon right away.

Pick a few and have at it. If you haven't had them before you should be pleasantly suprised

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Tortoise when did your class start and does the mushroom run at a different time? I am always up for learning more about wild edibles

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I know this is an OLD thread, but @tortoise is still around (any updates on the above?) and I learned about this "Chicken in the woods" mushroom this morning and I am intrigued! For those who, like me, never heard of or seen one before, here's a pic I found:

mushrooms.jpg

Does anyone here forage for wild mushrooms and if so, what are you getting? I've always wanted to, but for as long as I can remember I was told not to TOUCH wild mushrooms as they will kill me. (Sadly many if not most species in South Africa will do just that.) Now I'm in Ireland I am interested in learning more about this and maybe go out with an expert and forage some myself.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the idea. I'm also one of those folks who has no experience, and a whole lot of fear, concerning gathering wild mushrooms. Not a huge deal, because except for an occasional fairy ring in the yard, I never see wild mushrooms. Maybe I need to take a hike through the big wild pasture across the street.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
In my young formative pre teen days, there was a rash of local deaths of amateur mushroom hunters. Took me 10 years to eat even commercial mushrooms. Now I would love to pick up the skill

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've seen books on what to "look for" in foraging. It also shows the type of area where you will be most successful. For me, I am thinking that using sterile strait and growing in a controlled area would work better. :D

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The class I took pretty much said to get 2 - 3 books and cross reference them. And the instructor kept offering that we buy his book. :p

mythreesons290322

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know this is an OLD thread, but @tortoise is still around (any updates on the above?) and I learned about this "Chicken in the woods" mushroom this morning and I am intrigued! For those who, like me, never heard of or seen one before, here's a pic I found:

View attachment 6031

Does anyone here forage for wild mushrooms and if so, what are you getting? I've always wanted to, but for as long as I can remember I was told not to TOUCH wild mushrooms as they will kill me. (Sadly many if not most species in South Africa will do just that.) Now I'm in Ireland I am interested in learning more about this and maybe go out with an expert and forage some myself.

My mouth is totally watering..lol..have you ever eaten this mushroom? If not you are in for a real treat! I’m jealous!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't do mushrooms, but it sounds like fun. I just can't stand the taste or texture of them. Wish I liked them!