FORD, didnt take our money and opening a new plant!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Like many, I came here from BYC, I became a golden feather because the site is just so useful. Because I know nadda about chickens ( basics ) I decided to donate the 20.00 to help pay for the domain cost. Look at it as supporting a cause the best I know how, I think it's a great useful site.

The brief email came after I posted about making bread. :rolleyes:

You know, we are all here to learn ways to live our lives as ss as possible. My DW and I are slowly getting back to being ss as possible. I have lots to learn and little to offer on the subject. So I do read a lot of books, currently I am reading three books.

At some point the sender of the email is going to read this, and what I drive has nothing to do with my choice to live my lifestyle a ss as I can. The aurhor of the email was pretty vein, and self rightous. I saw no reason to respond, and I would just belittle myself if I did.

Thank you for your support and allowing me to be who I am no matter what I drive. I would like to think that all of us here do come different walks of life and time periods. I can see that many do come from different cultures and have a lot to offer from their asspect of life, which is a good thing.

Reaction score
What kind of car you drive is a personal choice. SUV's and trucks do have a purpose. I have a 3/4 ton Suburban that I use for towing a horse trailer. I also use it when I want to take my DW and my 7 children somewhere as a family. It is one of the few vehicles out there that will carry 9 people and tow 12,000 lbs. Gets 12 mpg. I put about 2000 miles a year on it. Small cars are ecologically correct but are not as comfortable. I also have a hard time getting in and out of small cars because of my knees.

Your Hummer is designed mostly for what you said you use it for. I know a Hummer can get through some snow situations that a lot of other 4x4's can't. Here in Colorado a few years ago we had blizzards with 3ft of snow and much larger drifts. There were a lot of stranded motorist's and the only way they were able to get to them was the NG and their Hummers. So good for you. It sounds like that lady could have frozen out there. I know I would have been mighty thankful to see you.

The only car's that should be off the road are the ones belching blue smoke.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We've got an old Saturn, 40 mpg. But, boy, does my husband mumble and grumble when we've been in that thing for 7 hours on a trip :) And the kids--who are literally buried in the backseat with all our luggage for the trip!

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
tmp - I am sorry that you had to even read an email like that. I've always been under the belief that those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Though we are all here to learn, help others and strive to be 100% SS, there will be livestyles (where we live, the restricitons our by-laws put on us), jobs, etc. that make it impossible for us to do so.

As it has already been said, what you drive doesn't equal how SS you are and it is so true. I'm at the opposite side of this type of topic - I drive a Civic Hybrid. When people find out I get the - tree hugger, environmentalist, dh's favourite green party freak (it's one of our political parties). In reality that was low on my reasons to buy it cause really what happens when those batteries die, how good for the environment will it be then. The gas mileage (in the summer) is better than most new cars but my main reasons - it was way lower on insurance (no one wants to steal it, you can't supe it up), and it doesn't have to be emission tested every two years like my '92 Dakota does (it's a worry every time it goes in even though it passes with flying colours we know one day it may not). The car costs more for repairs (oil changes - $68-75+taxes each time, though I only have to do them about 4-5 times a year, wheel bearing - $400+taxes, brakes another $400 for just the front!). Thankfully our nephew did some work for a mechanic who charged me alot less for that bearing and brakes, otherwise that car would be parked and rusting in the driveway. If we'd thought to find out how much this stuff was before buying, we'd never bought it. The money it saves us on gas and insurance it definitely makes up for in maintenance.
Only in the last few months have I looked at ways to be SS and am slowly switching some things over where I can - till we move next year where I know I will be able to do more and the dh will be able to try a few of his own SS ideas. Will we be 100% SS, I highly doubt it but it will be an interesting journey of trial and error along the way to attempting to be.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
FarmerChick said:
the-metal-peddler said:
Part 2 of 2

So I got this email last week from a member here on SS. I post on three forums, and I am not interested in answering that email. Some one asked me how could I be SS and own a Hummer that gets 4 miles to the gallon?
WOW I am shocked someone had the nerve to privately email and question you about your vehicle......don't judge this forum by a few nitwits....seriously, so many can never mind their own business. At some point in this life we all can justify our choices....ones we prefer, not others....for our own reasons.

Sorry you had an idiot email from a SS nasty.......!!!!

I would own a hummer in a heartbeat if I could. I don't have any worry of "winter patrol"---LOL---I would own one cause I love them!~!!! I am as SS as the next person but choices are available in this life and WE choice what we want. I choose so many less choices in life to make good thru this journey that if I prefer a few luxuries I am having them.

I don't care if anyone agrees or disagrees with this post...---it is my opinon...LOL
What does owning a Hummer have to do with self sufficiency?

I didn't know this was a rabid save the environment forum.

I thought this forum is about self sufficiency and living within your means.
A hummer could be an SS tool for a person. And at some point all of us are going to choose from millions of products out on the global market that others may find outlandish or "whatever"---but it is a personal choice.

To send someone an email about their vehicle is just not needed ever.....we all have our little choices in life and if we mention something we own or want and others don't agree, best keep it to themselves. Nothing wrong with that....LOL

Fourms have their main purpose, then people add their personal lives into that forum and we chat about alot of things....just happens.

Reaction score
me&thegals said:
We've got an old Saturn, 40 mpg. But, boy, does my husband mumble and grumble when we've been in that thing for 7 hours on a trip :) And the kids--who are literally buried in the backseat with all our luggage for the trip!
I bought a 93 Honda Civic for my son to drive. It was entry level and had no options at all. Didn't even have a right side view mirror. In Colorado we have to ride with a new driver for 50 hours for them to get their license. I did it in 3 hour chunks. The seats were so uncomfortable I had to take a pain killer each time. I know a lot of the small cars are quite comfy. Not that one though. It did avg 35 mpg though and it was during the 4.00 a gal gas thing. I prefer my company car for comfort. It's a 2008 Grand Caravan.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
me&thegals said:
I bought a 93 Honda Civic for my son to drive. It was entry level and had no options at all. Didn't even have a right side view mirror. In Colorado we have to ride with a new driver for 50 hours for them to get their license. I did it in 3 hour chunks. The seats were so uncomfortable I had to take a pain killer each time. I know a lot of the small cars are quite comfy. Not that one though. It did avg 35 mpg though and it was during the 4.00 a gal gas thing. I prefer my company car for comfort. It's a 2008 Grand Caravan.
LOL-LOL

I am laughing cause yea cars can kill your back and butts big time...LOL

Tony drives a very old Plymouth to work to save wear and tear on his big Chevy truck. That vehicle is a menace to persons...LOL...it just "sits horrible", the dash is out of the dark ages, no AC, etc. etc. but it drives and saves gas.....and it runs! So those are all a plus for the old gal.

But they get you from point A to B when needed!

Reaction score
Back in the early 80's I used to love the 66 - 71 Plymouth Valiants with the slant 6. Got about 18-20 mpg and ran forever and real easy to work on. I would love to have one of those again.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Back in 94 I was driving a Ford Explorer(2 door) & it was destroyed in our accident(head-on collision-not my fault) & once a few mos later when I was at the hospital getting my leg cast changed again, the guy asked me what kind of vehicle I was driving in the accident & then asked if I knew what I wanted to replace it with? I told him I was going to get a hummer & lets see some semi try to run me over then! I was joking at the time as they did not really have them afordable at the time for consumers, but boy howdy do I wish I could have gotten one. I say you drive what you like to drive it is your choice & decision & to your private emailer well...... :tongue :tongue to them!!!!

And I am glad you were there to save that woman & her baby, even if you were just doing your job. I commend you on a job well done. How many other people were out at that time of the morning checking roads for stranded travels?