framing fowl -daily living

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
:frow You're doing really well with that place. You mentioned and olive tree. Can you actually get olives that far north? What kind is it? I would love to be able to grow my own. :welcome
I forget the variety but I ordered it out of the Stark brothers catalog. Olivia came this spring and was 12 inches tall and only had 5 leaves. She currently lives in a 10 inch pot that I moved around the garden as needed this summer and is living on the kitchen table this winter. I've never tried growing a tree in a pot before so we'll see what happens. Olive trees are very slow growing and it will take about 5 years before she bears fruit. Here she is about 2 months after I got her.

1317_olivia_baby_web.jpg

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:frow

Hello there fellow city slicker! Welcome to Sufficient Self. I'll be following your journal, sounds like you are well on your way to ss with all of the bartering going on! ;) :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I name plants too...LOL

Audrey and Seymore are the only ones though (my grape vines)

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Just got back from Urban Foraging. I walked my dogs on a 3 mile loop in the neighborhood and came home with a luggage cart on wheels! Sort of like a light duty handtruck. I usually find some sort of scrap metal that gets saved up until we have enough to take to the scrap yard.

It's brutal though. You have to time everything just right or you miss out! I'm a casual forager, just through our neighborhood with the dogs. I have to go late enough that there is good stuff setting out, but early enough to beat out the serious foragers that stalk through town pulling a utility trailer behind their little beat up Nissans. The other trick is to go at about 8 in the morning to catch the stuff that people put out when the kids go to school but you have to be quick to beat the garbage truck!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Putting 4 lbs of deer jerky into the dehydrator tonight. It's been in a Hawaiian marinade for 4 days... can't wait 'til it's ready!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I couldn't find any at Starks but ran a search and found out that Mission or Manzanilla olives might work in my area. :drool :ya

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
CHICKEN ADVENTURES!

Millicent hatched out 8 chicks on Monday! These were all barnyard surprise eggs from a friend down the road. This will be the second group that she has hatched out.

This project started with a dog kennel that someone gave us. DH suggested a coop and wouldn't it be fun to have chickens for eggs. So we made the coop this spring and got 4 layers. So far, so good. No chicks to worry about with the dogs, people lined up wanting to buy eggs, we have a plan! Well, Millicent promptly went broody so I convinced DH that getting some fertile eggs for her to hatch would be good, we'd have a few hens to add to the flock and we could butcher the cocks...

We did our research and thought that Barnevelders sounded like a fun dual purpose breed and since their Dutch, and I'm Dutch, it was destined to be... We found a breeder, drove and hour each way out to get them and came home with 14 eggs. We ended up with 10 babies that hatched.

Meanwhile, Dolores and Lucy (the 2 black astralorp mixes) are just laying up a storm... but no eggs from Betsy... and no eggs from Millicent because she's taking care of 10 babies. None of our customers have gotten a single eggs from us yet and I'm still having to buy eggs at the grocery... but everything will be okay because out of 10 chicks we should get several hens to add to our flock and they will begin laying next spring.

Well, we put the newly hatched chicks in a tractor and one promptly escaped. Julie, the pitbull mix was concerned and scooped it up in her jaws to bring it to me but she wasn't quite gentle enough. So now we have 9 and a patched up place in the tractor. They grow and grow and are soon big enough to free range in the back yard with the 4 hens and Annie and Julie the dogs.

Feathers start coming in and ooops! The breeder forgot to tell us about her project on breeding Blue Laced Red Wyandottes to her Barnevelders to get a Barnie Blue. So instead of having some good stock to develop into a nice Barnevelder line, I've got some beautiful mutts! Come late October, it is very obvious I only have 3 hens and Betsy still is a lazy layer. Dolores and Lucy are beginning to molt and Millicent goes broody again! So much for my plan...

So the new plan is to butcher 5 of the 6 roosters and Betsy between Christmas and New Years when I have off. Cedric, one of the Barney Blues, gets a pardon. So going into spring, I'll have 3 of my original hens and 3 from the first batch of chicks ready to lay. If there are any fancy chicks in this newest batch (Polish, silkies, or feathered leg breeds) I'll sell them this spring and keep the rest of the hens. Roosters will be butchered again. We'll see how quickly this plan gets derailed!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I'm still having to buy eggs at the grocery
I feel your pain! 4 female ducks and I am lucky to get 1 egg per day. I resorted to buying quail to get more eggs :D