framing fowl -daily living

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
As far as the can-do spirit, I take no credit for that. My DH taught me everything I know. When I wanted to hang around with him he made if very clear that "Can't" was the worst 4 letter word in the world and would not be tolerated... EVER.
I love that! I tell my kids that the words "I can't" are like swear words. :)

]So now rather than saying the word can't, I say things like, "Can you help me figure out how to..." Or "Do you know someone that can teach me..." "I'm still brainstorming on how to accomplish..."
That's great! I'm going to be passing this one on... Your husband sounds like an awesome guy, btw, and you sound like you are making excellent progress in getting out of debt. Way to go!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Your DH is my new hero! What a guy, what a spirit! :) I've often found it is the folks who have to overcome extreme adversity who are the most upbeat and strong in this life. It seems they have seen the bottom of the glass and no longer see anything as half empty anymore.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Can't is a four letter word here too. Unfortunately, my son still swears alot. (only that word, lol) We are working so hard to get him to stop saying that word. Can't just means won't, and that is not acceptable.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Can't is a four letter word here too. Unfortunately, my son still swears alot. (only that word, lol) We are working so hard to get him to stop saying that word. Can't just means won't, and that is not acceptable.
Got a startle from your second sentence :) Yeah, my kids have a ways to go, too. And those words are usually said in a whiny voice. :barnie

But, as framingfowl's hubby wore off on her, hopefully a can-do attitude all childhood will wear off on them. Great story--thanks for sharing!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
This is the exact reaction to dog time outs at my home.....sad, moochy looks! How do they make their faces get anymore hang dog than they usually are, I don't know, but they manage to look so...so....wounded. :rolleyes: :lol:
My Cassie dog always gets this look on her face and comes to me begging and so sorry... whenever Sirius gets in trouble! She is usually such a good dog herself and usually if Sirius does anything against the "rules" Cassie will fiercely roll him. However if WE are punishing him or even fussing with him, SHE is the one that is sorry. :hu

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Your DH is my new hero! What a guy, what a spirit! :) I've often found it is the folks who have to overcome extreme adversity who are the most upbeat and strong in this life. It seems they have seen the bottom of the glass and no longer see anything as half empty anymore.
I'm kinda fond of him! He really turned my thinking upsidedown in so many ways. We were talking about the glass being half full or half empty one time and he asked me... Well, why wouldn't you just put it in a different glass? :smack

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
1317_dogs.jpg

This is Annie, sitting and Julie, laying. Annie is 5 and we got her as a puppy from the humane society. Julie is 7 and we got her from a free ad. Love them both! Julie is more thoughtful and deliberate while Annie is full of energy and ready for anything.

Ohio~I haven't gotten to that pic yet... can't wait to see it. I'm on page 144, just starting the Pavlov chapter.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Very pretty dogs! Love that sheen on the coat...... :) Also like the names....particularly Julie..... :D :cool:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
now THAT'S a couple of good lookin dogs! wow! thanks for posting!

honestly that book is great - all good thoughts that WORK.

i kinda like The Dog Whisperer too. one of the things he does - which i think is a great idea - is the food ritual. i just fed my pups so i was thinking of it. i mix up their food (today it was bagged dry food, with scrambled eggs, and cooked pig parts); tell them to sit in their Good Dog Spots (different corners of the deck), then stand in front of them and make them look me in the eye, i tell them good dog (or momma loves you), then i put down their food.

the order is always our old lady Shady first (and since she only has one eye i dont make her look at me), then whoever found their Good Dog Spot first and sat there in what the Dog Whisperer says is the passive state, eyes on me softly, ears DOWN, and alert. no wiggling, no ears forward, quietly and calmly.

i like his idea on this - that it emphasizes the bond between us, and also that i'm the keeper of the food - shows that i'm the top dog (well next to The Big Man). and it shows an important part of our day - we work first THEN eat. all part of the job they have.

we also have enforced that their food comes from my hand or magically appears in their bowl. NO ONE is allowed to feed them snacks or treats or feed them. mostly is is for security reasons (easiest way to get rid of a dog is poison it, right?). this also keeps the hierarchy emphasized, and frankly i dont want anyone feeding my dog potato chips or whatever. (this, btw, completely sends the MIL into fits).

it also helps then understand that cant just eat whatever they find, or whatever they can snarf off the counter.

Lucky was incredibly food aggressive when he first got there. the family who originally owned him had the mistaken belief that they should only feed a puppy once a day - and that strategy just didnt do well with Lucky. now if he growls or has the 'prison stance' of hunching over the food we take up his food and stand over him. he learned pretty quick. now not only can we (and we do!) take his food away if he is naughty - i sometimes i'll take food out of his mouth.

some people think this is 'too strict' but remember dogs dont have a sense of 'fairness' like people do. they love a hierarchy and having a place in it. if they dont they make up their own rules like, hey lets go thru the garbage! or lets jump up on that little kid with the hot dog - wont that be funny? but its not funny if you have a 100lbs of dog pushing a little kid down.

anyway - just more thoughts.
:)