Free 1898 Cookbook

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
While there are some useful cooking ideas and recipes in this book, it is worth downloading for entertainment value alone!

Check out this recipe from the "Cookery for the Sick" section :gig

For Very Weak Invalids (by Mrs. Dr. Stowe, Toronto)
Six fresh eggs, shells unbroken, cover with the juice of 12 lemons. Let digest four days, then remove all pieces of skin or undissolved shell, after which pour over the mass one pint of rum and beat thoroughly; melt in a little water one pound of rock candy, and add after cooling, then bottle, and use a few spoonfuls. It will be found excellent and very nourishing.

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL24445225M/The_New_Galt_cook_book

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up WZ!

I like the tip they give for tough poultry..."If a fowl is tough rub it inside with a teaspoonful of baking soda, being careful to wipe it off before cookingit; it is also good for tough meat."

It even has written instructions on how to "Draw" a fowl.

I'm lovin' this! Love these old cookbooks.

ETA - that's on page 40

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks WZ - I have a new addition!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The Housekeeper

The Care of Fat

Not one particle of any kind of fat should be allowed to be wasted. All trimmings from beef, veal, or pork, fat from poultry, should be tried out and should be allowed to cook slowly till the bubbles cease to rise. The fat should then be clarified by frying a few raw potatoes in it and strained and put away for use. The fat from chickens and fowls is excellent for shortening, or for almost any fine cooking and should be kept by itself. Ham fat has a smoky flavor and must be kept alone, but can be used for frying the vegetables used in some soups, for potatoes and eggs. The fat of mutton, lamb, turkey, geese and ducks has a strong flavor, but should be tried out for soft soap.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've learned so much already! I really need to corn some beef. Use the liquor for bean soup??? Maybe I'd like bean soup!

Do you think they are talking about eye of round when they use the term "round" when referring to a cut of beef? I'm familiar with corning the brisket, but eye of round roasts are easy to find.