FREE Food grade 5 gal. buckets for food storage=IDEA

Janet&Jim

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I've been usin 'em fer years to transport snakes in. Drill a few holes in the lid...good to go. They are great for venomous snakes coz the lids are seriously secure.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Wow, I never thought of using them for food storage! We were making nesting boxes out of them for the chickens!! :eek:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Goodness I wish I could find them for free, or even a couple bucks. I have been searching the web and they are running 7 bucks with no lid. The cool snap on lid with the insert that un screws is another 7 bucks. Ouch!!!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I checked our local markets they would not give them out. Not sure why. I am going to keep checking around. I will try the local Subway and other food joints.

silkiechicken

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Alot of places here no longer give them out. They do some sort of internal recycleing with them and so they have to send them back or so they say. In the past, we collected a bunch and use them to carry water, collect veggies, as nests for the chickens, possible feeders and so on. The only thing we have in bulk here large enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket is white rice, but that says in the rice bag in the corner. I think we have a 10lb bag of flour in the house minus 2 cups dated from like 2002. LOL. Not much baking goes on here.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
cackle said:
I have not been able to find free ones but I buy them for 2.00 each at firehouse subs. Takes a few weeks to get the pickle smell out.:D

I thought I might buy some of these to make them airtight for rice, flour, etc.

http://www.pyrosupplies.com/shop/page/product_detail/Product/4aa8000419da8c351a19bb63e11f631e.html
I get them for $5.50/ea from the organic co I order from each month. but I love them as it is so much easier to get into my grain buckets. but they are still sealed against bugs.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Goodness I wish I could find them for free, or even a couple bucks. I have been searching the web and they are running 7 bucks with no lid. The cool snap on lid with the insert that un screws is another 7 bucks. Ouch!!!
Tank, look on Azurestandard.com they would most likely have a buying group in your area the buckets are $5 & the lids are $5.50. We get a delivery each month from them & I know they deliver in a lot of places in CA.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
To all who are looking for these buckets, my dh works for the state prison & he is bringing home these buckets like no tomorrow, they are only 3 gallon but still. they have held PB & jelly in them. they go thru a lot of that in the prison system. So check the schools or if you have a prison nearby check with them too.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My DIL works at a local Burger King. The pickles come in these 5 gal buckets, and they throw them away. She gets them for me whenever she can remember. Check local fast foods. Im sure they will be glad to give them to you...but you have to go every day...they usually wont store them for you. Need to get the pickle smell out? add one cup of bleach and fill with hot water.....let sit over night, then rinse and set in the sun. Works great!