1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Free is free

Discussion in 'Frugal Living - Making and Saving Money' started by CrealCritter, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Dec 6, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

What we see the most down here is people who literally trash their rentals...and I do mean TRASH. And landlords seem to think that's standard, so they just repaint and recarpet after hauling away all the trash, then exterminate.

And that's even the renters with good references and background checks.

For instance...this is a sweet old farmhouse I rented once upon a time on an acre of land, half of it in an old but wonderful orchard. I had built fences, repainted the trim and fences, refurbished the outbuildings and made little improvements here and there as money allowed~repainted the interior and porch, put down new carpeting, etc.~all without anything being taken off the rent.

When I left I removed the garden fence, replanted it to grass, as I did any other spots in the yard that had been planted or where the chickens had dusted. It looked much better than I had found it and I feel that's how everyone should leave a rental property.

Never got my deposit back, BTW. The landlord checked in once per year and pretty much ignored any problems with the house that was reported.

[​IMG]

5508_imported_photos_00009.jpg

...then the next renters moved in and totally and thoroughly trashed the place. They still live there and it gets worse every years. Once they called the cops and they told them they had to remove some of the trash off the property but that did little to change it, it just came back worse than ever. As of right now, it's worse than in these pics and there's hardly a blade of grass on the place...they've overstocked it with small livestock and dogs so that it's down to the bare earth on most of the acre.

These pics show AFTER they had removed the bags and bags of trash piled against the house and across the property. As of today, it's about 10 times worse than you see it here.

100_5445.jpg 100_5447.jpg 100_5446.jpg
    Basically the house is probably a burn down now. When you walk up to the porch you can smell the house, it stinks that bad. The landlord pretty much deserves this as he's a neglectful landlord, but I see this a lot in this state and in these old farm houses.

2. Dec 6, 2017
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

Beekissed, that is really sad to see. Around here rentals are hard to come by, since the banks are sticky about giving mortgages, many people have no choice but rent. As a result the demand outstrips supply in many regions. Yet I still here about people trashing places to the point where landlords refuse to rent their properties out any more.

Landlord-wise I cannot ask for a better one than my current landlord. Yesterday I found the outside drain blocked yet again. He was here shortly after the plumber arrived this morning, early. Whatever big or small things I find here that needs attention, he's on it immediately and thoroughly. Huge difference from my previous one!

Beekissed likes this.
  3. Dec 9, 2017
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

i finally found time to install Ubuntu Linux on my free notebook. I'm using it to type this reply. WOW SS looks way different on a notebook than it does on a cell phone. I still cant believe I got a free notebook and it only cost about a nickel in parts and 30 minutes of my time to get it running. Wished I were lucky like this more often...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    sumi and Beekissed like this.
  4. Dec 9, 2017
    moxies_chickennuggets

moxies_chickennuggets Super Self-Sufficient

I am currently looking for that 10K foreclosure property to purchase and move in to.

sumi likes this.
  5. Dec 10, 2017
    sumi

Come to Ireland. I've seen houses here go for as little as 8K

6. Dec 11, 2017
    moxies_chickennuggets

moxies_chickennuggets Super Self-Sufficient

I truly wish I could do just that sumi. Move to Ireland and buy that place for 8K.

sumi likes this.
  7. Dec 11, 2017
    sumi

That would be awesome :)

8. Dec 12, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

NO WAY! Nobody better buy my house in Ireland out from under me. I'm running away from home and I might not come back.

9. Dec 12, 2017
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Those are Hillbillies Not Crealbillies :)

10. Dec 12, 2017
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

The best thing on our farm that was free is our Great Pyrenees, Paris. Paris was free because she killed chickens. It took me two years to turn her into a chicken guard.

https://www.backyardherds.com/threa...heep-goats-or-chase-bears-hawk-post-26.23771/

We moved and Paris had a lot to adjust to. She went from town to the country, there were HORSE MONSTERS next to her back yard! Then we got sheep and the training started all over again. Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/paris-has-begun-lamb-training.33844/

Paris loves us, the chickens and the sheep. She is a fantastic dog and we are proud of her. She had a lot to overcome from the damage her first owners did to her, she is still a bit psychotic, probably just her personality. She guards our farm.

Awesome dog and she was free because idiot people didn't know what to do with her.