Freemotion's food journal: Expanding the gardens, pics p 53

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, I almost forgot, dh brought me one Hershey's kiss today, left it on a love note on the counter for me. So sweet. Finally trained him to NOT buy me the giant version! Just a taste!

And I am so not used to sweets, it almost made me gag. I used to be able to put away almost a whole bag in a sitting, I am embarrassed to admit! :rolleyes: No wonder my body is all messed up!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Free...after finding your food journal this morning, I did some reading (me alone, everyone asleep, hot coffee and the computer :caf...heavenly!) Anywho....I searched whole food diets, because that is the direction I want to move in, and was totally inspired :)

Bought some of your Kombucha tea so I can try it and use some for a starter. I hope I like it :fl

DH and I went to Costco for a big shop and we avoided all the usual pitfalls....prepackaged frozen convenience foods! I was so proud!

You are an inspiration! Keep posting girl :thumbsup

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thank you!!! How sweet! Just a warning, though, commercial kombucha, although a lot of the brands available are very good for you, is nothing like homemade.....just like most other things. Also, some people can drink it straight and enjoy it, I cannot... :sick But I crave it when it is diluted and mixed with water and homemade chai tea. Then it is the best thirst-quencher around!

And one of the cheapest flavorful and good-for-you drinks around, at pennies per gallon!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Update on yesterday.....I decided to forego the popcorn, and just had my yummy vodka collins and sat in the livingroom peeling garlic for my fermented garlic while watching So You Think You Can Dance, which we'd recorded earlier in the week and didn't have time to watch. I got half the garlic peeled, hope to do the rest today and get that started.

So far I've had my supplements and just polished off my hot (warm) chocolate, now I will go have three guinea eggs and a small veggie shake to start making up for the past couple of veggie-poor days. Then it is out to the hayfield, and back in to make cheese and save some whey for my ferments.

I found the guinea nest last night, when I inadvertantly walked past it and got yelled at by the sitting guinea. She was on 26 eggs! I brought them in and candled them, I don't think she started sitting before last night, as I've seen her out an about every day.

She can't sit on them, she is too wild and won't be confined, so she is too vulnerable to the neighbor's dog (she was on his property, on my fenceline, in the brush.) Besides, three guineas is three too many in my little suburban neighborhood. No one has really complained yet about the visits and the noise, but the screeching drives me nuts sometimes. They will roost in my barn rafters and the noise is deafening if I go in with a different coat on or am wearing a hat. Intruder alert! Intruder alert! Intruder alert!!!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
noobiechickenlady said:
:lol: I just notice the irony of this smiley!
:lol:

The irony was totally unintentional! I'm really very interested in this way of eating, as I have some gastrointestinal issues & DH has reflux. I'm trying very hard to break his Hamburger Helper/boxed meal addiction :sick

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Recipe for today's shake, while I am drinking it:

All amounts are eyeballed!

1.5 c goat yogurt
1 c carrots
1 c spinach (frozen)
1 c strawberries (frozen)
1/2 c grapes
3 guinea egg yolks
1/2 dropper stevia extract
1 big pinch of sea salt

Blended on high in the Vitamix to liquify the raw carrots.

So I have about 5-7 servings of fruit and veggies so far today.

Here is the chai tea recipe....it is posted elsewhere, but I want it on this thread, too.

Chai Tea Infusion (concentrate to add to other drinks)

Bring 2 quarts water to a boil, add 3-4 inches of cinnamon bark, 6-10 whole allspice seeds, one cardamom pod, half a nutmeg broken up.

While water is heating up, chop fresh ginger, about the size of your palm (excluding your fingers.) Use the food processor and process until the size of coarse sawdust or just slice it as thin as you can, go for matchstick size if possible. Don't bother peeling it, just scrub it really well. Add to the boiling water, and turn it down to a light simmer, cover. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Turn off heat and leave it at room temp for several hours or overnight.

Strain into two quart bottles and refrigerate. The strength will vary from batch to batch, depending mostly on the quality of the ginger. I usually use 1/5 to 1/4 of this infusion to flavor black tea, hot or iced. For kombucha, I will use about 3 oz each of chai and kombucha, 1/2 dropper or one packet of stevia extract, and 10 oz of filtered water.....yummmmmm!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
freemotion said:
noobiechickenlady said:
:lol: I just notice the irony of this smiley!
:lol:

The irony was totally unintentional! I'm really very interested in this way of eating, as I have some gastrointestinal issues & DH has reflux. I'm trying very hard to break his Hamburger Helper/boxed meal addiction :sick
The reflux will disappear with lots of high-fiber, LGI veggies, and the gastro-intestinal stuff will heal, too. You both will also benefit from the fermented foods.....and traditionally prepared broths daily for several months to give your body the building blocks to heal the digestive tract.

As you learn to incorporate these things, especially the broths which are SO yummy, dh won't miss the hamburger helper. Start with broth....make a reduction with it, and make a hamburger dish with that instead. Oh, to die for!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
When you say broth are you talking about textbook stock? Bones, veggies and herbs simmered for hours and then strained? or are you talking about something else?

Also...what is the name of the book & author that yur referenced before...I can't find it :/

Talk to me about flax. I have read that Flax is good for constipation (dd6) and I bought some ground organic cold milled flax at costco...not really sure if it was the right choice. I also bought some live wheat germ for DH to add to his breakfast shakes, but again not really sure how else to use it and what it is good for.