Freemotion's food journal: Expanding the gardens, pics p 53

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, I am just coming out of my coma.....there are two small pieces left for breakfast. I'd say that was extreme self control. :p

It was good but I do prefer a crust. Guess I'll have to make another one....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Tonight:

A starter of kale chips made with bacon grease, Bragg's ACV, sea salt, then topped with grated feta.

Collard greens cooked in more bacon.

Burgers on the grill made by grinding grass fed beef with some of the irregular, thick bits of bacon that come in every packet of our homegrown bacon. I have been saving these bits up in a bag in the freezer for cooking greens and for this purpose...bacon beef burgers.

To die for!

Aaaahhhhhhh............satisfaction!

Later, I'll try the french onion dip with some fresh veggies....the dip is made with chevre moistened with milk and beaten, and seasoned with onion and garlic powders, parsley, black pepper, and sea salt. It tasted pretty good when I made it, but these things get better after a few hours in the fridge.

I picked up a carton of sour cream at the discount grocery today (only one brand available there) and read the ingredients and put it back. The first ingredient...on sour CREAM...was milk. Then cream, then non-fat milk (read: powdered toxic ridiculous excuse for food.) Then and there I decided to try a dip with chevre. I'm not currently making kefir....I need all the does to have kidded as I will surely kill my kefir by forgetting it until all the sleepless nights are past me. Plummy is due in one week.

I'm glad....sometimes the lack of a convenience, combined with a craving, produces the best new recipes using stuff we produce here for free, and healthier, besides.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here are some garden pics. It is doing great so far. I've gotten many zucchinis, a few tomatoes (eaten right in the garden...letting a beefsteak vine ripen for blt's tomorrow), garlic, scallions, lettuce, swiss chard, beet greens. Oh, and lots of herbs and some wonderful potatoes!

Still to come: cukes, beets, kohlrabi, basil, carrots, round zucchini, sunflowers, bush beans, three types of pole beans (Christmas, Valentine, Lazy Wife....couldn't resist the name of that last one!), blue hubbard squash, Long Island Cheese squash, sweet peppers, cayenne, jalapenos, onions, parsley, horseradish, cabbages.

Still to plant: More lettuce and peas when the weather breaks, onion seeds for next year's sets, rutabagas. And a third try with the wormwood seeds. Maybe another go at parsnips, as none came up, and there is still time I think.

I wasn't going to put in sweet peppers as they never do well. I couldn't resist getting a couple at half price the last week of the nearby greenhouse. Glad I did.

Julygardenetc020.jpg

Julygardenetc016.jpg

Three sisters:
Julygardenetc023.jpg

Julygardenetc011.jpg

Swiss Chard! First cutting:
Julygardenetc002.jpg

Teensy carrots on the left, need thinning. Tomatoes and sunflowers on the right....I was hoping the sunflowers would stake the tomatoes, but I see now that I needed to start the sunflowers a lot earlier:
Julygardenetc018.jpg

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey, Free, I'm loving my Kombucha plain or with a bit of fruit juice, but I'd like to try it with your homemade ginger chai tea concentrate. I couldn't find a recipe, though. Do you know where the it might be?
Thanks! :frow

Oh, and I'm jealous of your garden. I had big plans, but I didn't get much planted and neglected what I did. :(

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I'm so jealous of your garden. It's beautiful.
It's been over 100 here, for weeks, and I don't even feel like trying now. It will be time to plant fall stuff soon at least.