Free's incubator experience (Urgent question p 4)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow! Our first experience with the incubator....is not going by what I've read.

Tomorrow night is officially the 21 day mark and today I was to get shavings, set up the heat lamp, and get everything warming overnight in preparation for tomorrow night and through the weekend.

They started hatching this morning. Just put the shavings in the brooder, dad came over a couple hours ago and fixed the heat lamp so I didn't have to buy a new one, and he set it up without the shavings so the floor and walls would start warming up at least. DH and I needed to work in the office this afternoon. As far as I know, the mortgage company won't take chicks in payment for the monthly bill. :rolleyes:

I just checked the 'bator and four have hatched! And I gotta bottle feed the kids and feed the dogs and feed the woodstove and run back out to pick up dh at the office!

Yowza! We candled a week or so ago and tossed 2 of the 41 eggs. We could not see into any of the blue eggs, so those are a mystery. Anyone want to venture a guess and count my chickens before they are hatched? :p

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
:pop

I'm right behind you, Free. I bought the incubator and I'm saving hatching eggs right now, I'll have to follow how yours goes!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
How exciting. I just got our incubator out to see how it works and to clean it. It was used by the neighbor and after she died last summer, her father gave it to us.
We have been saving the large eggs from our standard sized chickens, I should have enough to fill the brooder today.
Oh we also borrowed a large rooster from our neighbor a few weeks ago ;)
I have always used a broody hen before. SO wanted to try and sell chicks, since we have so many eggs. If they don't sell, we at least want good sized chickens, so they'll be worth butchering.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have the hatching bug! I have had 2 bators going almost non stop...since December! :p Anyone need a few mixed breed ducks??????? LOL Turkeys will be hatching around the 26th. I hope. Then....more chickens.:D

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I never had much luck with hatching....but then in that log cabin I never had much luck with anything :lol:
Looking forward to hatching again next spring...or maybe this spring maybe a friend will sell me some of her silkie eggs. Don't want to be hatching ANYTHING until I am moved into the other place though LOL!
Happy hatching you all...I am so jealous, you are making me want to dig up that old incubator of mine again! :drool

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have duck eggs in the incubator, also turkey eggs and adding some chicken eggs on Monday. I actually have two incubators going right now.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I still haven't had time to go and look for an incubator. :hit

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I really needed to get some stuff done tonight so here I am, still up, and it is almost 1 AM! Last check of the incubator at the very end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th day....8 chicks! :weee