Free's kidding journal 2011: Plum's death wish p 42

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Working hard cleaning the milking area and organizing that corner of the garage so I can set up my milking machine in a nice, clean, organized space. WOW it was a mess! How do we accumulate so much stuff? I found street map books that I used to keep in my trunk but have since been made obsolete by GPS and googlemaps. In the trash they went. Along with lots of other stuff. Then I donned the rubber gloves and scrubbed and scrubbed. And I'm less than halfway finished! Yikes! Back to the salt mines!

Meanwhile, the kids went outside in their new pasture/pen with Te'a as a babysitter. They have a nice cedar for shade, and I spent some time trimming lower branches, pulling privet that has invaded that space, and I put up some hardware cloth over the crotch of the tree so no baby feet or legs or heads get caught up in that tree. They are fascinated by leaping up and bouncing off the tree trunks in their pasture, and with that one in particular.

They stayed out from 9-3 and then came in with their second bottle. That's right, they get only 3 bottles starting today. Sniffle. Their crying breaks my heart. So I hand fed them some nice, succulent grass and some tiny apple leaves and the boy, Birch, started to figure out how to find his own grass. Mostly he ate dirt, roots, old leaves, last year's dead grass. It is a wonder they survive.

But the big news is.....I just peeked into their stall where they are napping....and Birch was chewing a cud! Yippee! So I feel much better about the reduced bottles. I do the Fiasco Farm method and give them only 10 oz per feeding. Many people double that. I want them eating solids as soon as possible. Ginger is not giving enough to give them double milk....in fact, I am giving them a lot more than she is producing. So they need to eat grass, leaves, and hay. The leaves are starting to come out here, so soon I will be able to bundle branches for them in their stall. They will really shoot up when that happens.

Meanwhile..... :weee for wee cuds!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, FD, but I know I watched it for free from a link someone posted here.....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Pics of the kids taken today. The buckling is for sale and would make a great homestead herd sire or pet. Ginger has never been chemically dewormed to my knowledge and has only used herbals. She is large and strong and sturdy, has a thick coat and is impervious to cold and will even go out in a light rain to eat. The perfect homestead goat. She is almost up to three quarts now, three weeks into her second lactation. And he was a triplet! His father is a sweetheart, and is still here with us, that says a LOT!
pigsandthetripletsApril292011009.jpg

pigsandthetripletsApril292011008.jpg

pigsandthetripletsApril292011016.jpg

His sisters, who are spoken for....the peanut, Lily:

pigsandthetripletsApril292011012.jpg

pigsandthetripletsApril292011010.jpg

Chai, the big doeling:

pigsandthetripletsApril292011015.jpg

pigsandthetripletsApril292011011.jpg

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Glad the girls are spoken for!! I cannot believe those ears, either. O...M...G

So, the next due date's coming up soon, eh?

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Due dates:

Willow: April 24, but likely not preggers

Mya: May 7 :/ drama queen, likes to try to die during labor

Peach: May 14

Plum: June 19
So - did Willow settle? And how is Miss Mya?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Willow didn't settle, thank goodness. So she can go to her new home next week with Te'a and the doelings.

I have twinges of regret every time I see those ears, that I changed my mind about retaining one. But practicality wins this time. I love the people who are taking them so I feel very good about it. Also, I realized that I don't really want all my dairy does to be around the same age. I will get more long-eared doelings from Ginger and next year's will be full-siblings to these cuties. So I will have my chance. If I can stay in practical mode, I will wait 2-3 years before keeping one. HA! :rolleyes: Not likely.