Free's kidding journal 2011: Plum's death wish p 42

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:thumbsup

So - why are you unfreezing colostrum? Is Mya CAE+ or something? I know you prefer bottle babies, but why can't you just milk out Mya and give the kids her milk?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup, CAE+. The kids are a bit weak in the hocks and the girl won't suck yet so I think I need some BoSe. Calling the vet.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just got them injected with BoSe, Mya, too. Got some B complex (not injectible, even the vet didn't have any :rolleyes: ) into all three in isotonic form orally....it worked great on little Lily when she wouldn't suck when she was first born. One little swig and an hour later she was STARVING!

I have to eat before I pass out! I didn't have breakfast or lunch. Gotta go do a bit of work today so I don't have to re-arrange too much and also to pay for all this stuff! DH is off to get some Red Cell, too, to get Mya's copper levels up and the babies will get some, too. I'll give some to Plum and Peach, too.

Gotta re-arrange the stalls later, too, since the little ones are in the triplet's stall with the heat lamp....trying to decide whether to move the heat lamp or to move the triplets. I'll probably move the heat lamp so the kids aren't stressed just before their big move on Friday.

Whew! Mya is working on the placenta now, so she is still confined in the stall that I will need later. Peach had better hold off until after Friday....but what to do with the buckling?
:barnie

eta: pics later, promise!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Free, every time I read about your goats I start thinking about fruit cobbler :lol: :drool

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
No wonder I'm hungry all the time! :lol:

None of the pictures came out, I'll have to take more later. All were blurry to some degree. I think dh had the camera set incorrectly for low light, and you know how goat babies move.

I had to cancel my appointments for this afternoon. I only had about 4 hours of work so I thought I could dash between bottles but it is getting too late and I still am not ready to leave yet. I can't get home at dark or after today, as I still have to re-arrange stalls, clean the kidding stall, move the heat lamp, and get red cell into everyone. And now there is a series of ever-worsening clumpy poos in the pasture and I have to figure out who is gearing up to be sick. I just saw Ginger poop so I know it is not here. That leaves Peach, Plum, (cobbler again!) or Willow. So I am moving my appointments to Wednesday. Grrr.....you don't know how much I would love to be a stay-at-home goat mom!

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You know, it's funny - Fudgie's got some cow plop going on too. I'm just monitoring her for now but I did give her some probios during milking yesterday.

I thought you bolused your gals with copper not too long ago...did the vet come out and say they needed more?

Also - you don't need to get B12 from the vet, or at least not around here. My local TSC carries it right on the shelf.

ETA - I know Red Cell contains copper, but I believe it's mainly for use when a goat is anemic:

Red Cell can be used to combat anemia in goats. Packages in quart bottles, use it in conjunction with Vitamin B12 injections or as a stand-alone treatment. Should be administered daily via mouth for at least one week in no less than three cc amounts for an average-sized goat. Taken from here

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
No one had it in stock.

Yes, I bolused everyone and yet two of the three black goats, both pregnant, didn't improve in their rusty thighs. I pm'd Rolls on byh and she gave me the regimen, the Red Cell in this case is to bring the copper up quickly. I'm just heading out to do it now.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's good to know - I never really thought to use it for copper reasons because I only ever really saw it used for anemic goats.