Free's kidding journal 2011: Plum's death wish p 42

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Whoever said anything about need? (oh, I guess I did.....I see baby Ginger in the pic-of-the-week! Hee-hee! I'm so flattered!)

Hey, I'm pretty sure Dorian is an Alpine....his mom was sleek as anything and looked like a deer. Is he Togg???? He sure got shaggy this year! But maybe Mya has some Togg in her? Hmmm..... someone look at the pics and tell me what the parents are.

The twins were much, much stronger today and are sucking down their bottles like crazy. I had them out in the yard for a bit and got them to follow me back and forth a few times. Later, dh and I worked on a bit of fencing by the garden and I took the twins into the garden with us. They are so small that I wasn't worried about damage to the garlic or comfrey plants that are growing in there, and nothing else is up yet.

They were pooped and I had to wake them up for their late bottle just now. So cute! I put a plastic storage tote on its side for them, filled with hay, so they can get cozy. No heat lamp or coats have been needed once they dried off. They have very heavy coats, too. One less thing to worry about!

The mineral deficiency that Mya had effected their strength. It showed up in the doeling's lack of a strong sucking reflex and both kids had obvious instability in their hocks. The bucklings would pop outwards, and the doelings would pop forward. They are already normal, after correcting the deficiencies.

Mya dragged me across the yard for her first milking, something very unusual for her after kidding. The big difference with this one was in ME. I gave her some time to get the kids out, then I lubed up and went in without hesitation. I felt hocks right away and knew it right away. I felt around just to be sure, then straightened that doeling out fairly quickly and out she came. Mya didn't have time to get weak and I didn't get overly stressed. Somewhat stressed, but not overly! :p It felt really good to be able to take a rough situation and make it come out just fine. Mya and Plummy both got smooches after that.

The other difference was the regimen to get her minerals up quickly, and it worked VERY fast as shown by her fast recovery. The other pregnant does are now on the same regimen prophylactically. I learned a lot this spring!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've learned a lot from this, too. Just don't know how much I really got. But, since I'm not expecting any babies until next year, hopefully, I'll have time to figure it all out.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
See, now I saw those pictures and saw nothing but Togg - especially in the buckling. Of course, I wouldn't say pure togg because he's got the belt, but it's definitely in their faces with that white stripe down their noses.

But then again, I don't know much about goat breed characteristics....

Could very well be the Alpine showing - do you have a picture of both the doe and buck?

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I thought he looked Togg at first, but after looking at more pictures of Alpine, it could definitely be Alpine influence. Check out the goat on the left on this site .

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So what was the regimen and doses that Roll Farm gave you? I would like to keep that on hand in case I need it or decide that next year that would be a good thing to do.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
So what was the regimen and doses that Roll Farm gave you? I would like to keep that on hand in case I need it or decide that next year that would be a good thing to do.
Here it is:

For full size babies:
B Complex, 2cc daily
BoSe 1/2 cc daily for 3-5 days
Red Cell 1cc daily 3-5 days

For the doe:
B-complex 5 cc daily
BoSe 1 cc per 40 lbs body weight daily 3-5 days
Red Cell 3-5 cc daily for 3-5 days

Getting all the stuff was a bit of a jolt to an unprepared budget, but I will have it for a LOOOOONG time. TSC only carries gallons of Red Cell (on sale this week, yay! $20, down from $25) but Jeffers has quarts. You have to get BoSe from the vet (at least here) and it was almost $30, but the bottle was 100 ml. TSC has the injectible B's and the tag on the shelf had them at around $6, of course, no one around here had any in stock. That was fine, as I have the isotonic-capable B-Complex from nutraMetrix and that is used by people doctors to get people off injectible B's, which aren't absorbed as well as oral B's. Certain B's need intrinsic factor in the digestive tract for absorption, and injecting them bypasses this. I have genetic absorption issues with certain nutrients, B's are among them, so I have the good stuff on hand. The results are VERY fast, minutes. It is lovely to see a weak baby start sucking within a half hour of getting the B's. :love

Hunting pics of the doe and buck next.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
I thought he looked Togg at first, but after looking at more pictures of Alpine, it could definitely be Alpine influence. Check out the goat on the left on this site .
The buck's mom looked just like the middle picture on that link, of the brown doe.

Here is a pic of Mya a few weeks after I got her, with her buckling Liam, our first baby here:
580_picture_025.jpg

Dorian and Mya, kissing:

Picture037-2.jpg

A more recent picture of Dorian:

poorbaconandporkchop007.jpg

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the regimen.

I would post on BYH and see what they say. I really don't know. I would say definitely Alpine is in there but not sure if full blooded or not. As shaggy as Dorian is, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some Togg in there. I hear Togg's are the hairiest. My Alpine never got a thick winter coat but the Nigerians sure did.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm with k - I do see the alpine in both of them, but that little buckling really looked togg to me. Prolly somewhere down the line....