Free's kidding journal 2011: Plum's death wish p 42

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I absolutely could not have done it without help. I was completely mystified by what I was feeling and what to do about it. Kate said her phone indicates that we talked for 14 minutes....it felt like hours! I just got my husband's version. He said I looked really stressed and scared with each one until the very moment that I figured out what I was feeling, then I got to work confidently and out came the baby. He said he didn't watch, but admitted to peeking. He's with you, ofg! :lol:

The doeling was up and about this morning, the first to look for a bottle. But she was not good at finding the nipple and sucking, so I fed her brothers first, then focused on her. With some effort, she took the bottle, and then took in more milk than either of her larger brothers! All three will be getting BoSe shots, B-complex, and Red Cell today. The brown buckling has some tight tendons in both front legs, but he can stand ok. The BoSe should take care of that.

It worked out well having Mya's twins in with them. They checked out their half-siblings but went to sleep in their own box. They are good sleepers, so I gave them the rest of the milk that the triplets didn't drink in the wee hours (2-3 oz each for the twins) and they played for a while and then snuggled in their hay-lined tote box. The triplets are under the heat lamp.

This morning was a circus....everyone demanding loudly to be first. I fed the twins first to keep them calm, then milked Mya. I really wanted to milk Peach first and then feed the triplets, but I knew Mya would go on a bonking rampage, and she is quick to milk. I took Peach to the garage to milk and Ginger moo'd and woke up the entire neighborhood, I'm sure.

Peach was wonderful about getting milked on the stand for a first timer! All that time spent training paid off. She is a little skittish by nature but also has a lot of her mom's placid personality....in a strange and unpredictable mix. She has never been locked into the stanchion for longer than I could keep her distracted, so that was a slight problem. I had to stop milking several times and gently push her forward, rustling the food in her bin. It worked, but had to be repeated many times. I got a bit over a cup of milk. I will milk her again later, maybe 3-4 times today, since her stamina is low. She is out grazing with the does now and seems ok. She finished her supplements last night and ate some hay, and either finished her grain and alfalfa pellets or spilled them, I'll know when I clean her stall.

The vet recommended against giving antibiotics, so I purchased some and enough syringes (need to make an order! This one-by-one purchasing is getting ridiculous!) to get me through if I need to give it. I will monitor her temp and start right away if she spikes a fever. If she does, it will be after hours, so I wanted to have the penicillin here.

I still need to go take fluffy pictures, but I'm pooped and hungry and still need to feed the baby chicks and it is almost time to think about bottles again! Need to buy more bottles, too, so I can make them up in advance. I now understand ofg's hurry to move those babies on to new homes! I was spoiled having dam-raised singles the past three times. I will get these babies through their first three weeks, then I look forward to a break before Plum is due. I need sleep!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
great work!

wondering why:
The vet recommended against giving antibiotics,

i thought this was "standard??? not arguing but just wondering why?? b/c the vet doesnt normally give it "just in case"? or b/c she doesnt have a fever?

i'm guessing its b/c of your mad goat-pulling skills! whoooot!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Maybe the vets are getting more conservative with antibiotic use. I am pretty careful, my nails are non-existent because of my career, and I use the betadine liberally, so I feel ok with it. Not so ok that I don't have it sitting on my counter, however.

Fluffy picture, taken a few minutes ago. The girl is the one with the La Mancha ears:

Peachandthetriplets5-11-2011010.jpg

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Awwwwww.........they are just too cute for words!

I'd imagine you're right, free. The vet prolly is assuming that because she's up and eating she's doing just fine.

I got my Pen G from TSC and it wasn't that expensive - is that where your getting it from? I do have a lot of stuff on hand, even some banamine leftover from Cara in the event you are out of something and need it NOW. I can get it to you in about an hour any time of the day :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Awwwwww.........they are just too cute for words!

I'd imagine you're right, free. The vet prolly is assuming that because she's up and eating she's doing just fine.

I got my Pen G from TSC and it wasn't that expensive - is that where your getting it from? I do have a lot of stuff on hand, even some banamine leftover from Cara in the event you are out of something and need it NOW. I can get it to you in about an hour any time of the day :)
Thank you for the offer! I hope to never have to take you up on it!

I got the penicillin from the vet along with a few more syringes. I could get it from TSC but would have to go to one in CT and both are 1/2 hour away, so any savings would be eaten up by the price of gas. I drive by one every Monday, though, so when I can plan in advance I pick up stuff.

It was only about $14 for the bottle plus 10 syringes with needles, and 3 more tiny syringes/needles for the BoSe they will get later today when dh gets up from his nap. I kept him up late and he gets up at 4 AM for work.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
How long are the antibiotics good for?

They're adorable!!!

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Most have a shelf life of about a year I believe. The 'use by' date should be on the bottle...honestly I don't really go by that. I usually give it a few months past that date because pharmacutical companies have to put a safe date to avoid being sued even though the stuff is good for longer (or so I'm told...)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The kids are doing great today, much stronger and vigorous. All have a strong sucking reflex now and I had to hold all three bottles at the same time this morning for the first time. No chasing after babies and forcing a bottle into the mouth and tickling butts to get them to suck.

I was kept busy last night washing kids because the two boys had the squirts. Since they sleep in a pile at times it was a bit messy. I hadn't dealt with that yet, so of course it gave me something to obsess and worry about. I took a pail of warm water and some towels into the stall and cleaned everyone up the best I could without getting them wet. Because of this, I put the twins back into the other stall. The twins were out all day in the kid pasture anyways. It was their first full day out without a babysitter. I felt that Peach needed Ginger, her mom, more than the twins did. They did just fine, curling up for naps often and hoping around most of the day.

This morning everyone was fine and the triplets were pooping perfectly and all were trying out their hopping legs when I peeked into the stall before going in to feed them. Whew!

It was a gorgeous, warm spring day so I took the triplets out to the kid pasture for their very first time outside, and their first real playdate with their siblings. Here is a short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ8cyBnrYrU

A few minutes later: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MlpKyMpdEE

You need to know how hard it was not to wiggle or laugh while filming, because almost every time you do not see 5 baby goats in the frame, one or two of them are nibbling and licking my legs, trying to get my attention for a bottle! :lol: